Low FPS and Stuttering with GTX 1060

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
SyntaxNull

Post by SyntaxNull »

For some reason, I'm getting FPS around 60-70 when playing back midis in Synthesia on my 144 hz monitor. This leads to choppy performance and strong stuttering. (maybe because of the constantly changing frame rate??). Playing synthesia doesn't seem to affect my graphics card at all (clock speed, temp, memory don't change noticeably).

How can I check if synthesia is using my graphics card or the integrated graphics from my CPU? If synthesia is using integrated graphics, I still don't see why the stuttering like this would occur -- my cpu is only under about 10% load in the middle of a song.

Thanks

P.S. I have the latest nvidia gtx 1060 driver (released 8-13)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Try this:
  1. Hold your Shift key while launching Synthesia to show the configuration window.
  2. Find the "Graphics.FrameMinMilliseconds" entry in the list and change its value to 0.
Does that get you closer to 144 Hz? (You might also try forcing V-sync off in the Nvidia driver, but that's probably overkill.)
IvanL

Post by IvanL »

I don't think the iGPU would show as regular CPU usage, since it's a separate chip, it doesn't just use one of the CPU cores.