Shortcuts

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
pepzi

Post by pepzi »

I'm trying to set up a (pc)keyboard/mouse-less learning environment with piano keys mapped, but I can't seem to find a shortcut for switching between practice modes/right/left/both hands? Is no such shortcut available or am I missing something?

Other than that I love Synthesia :)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Right now those are hard-coded to use the arrow keys on a typing keyboard.

I can think of a workaround if you're familiar/comfortable with a little bit of scripting: you could use something like the free AutoHotKey utility along with the MIDI input library that someone created for it. That would let you map arbitrary sequences of MIDI input into arbitrary sequences of any kind (keyboard, mouse, MIDI, whatever) of output. At that point you can do just about anything. Mapping the highest or lowest couple keys on your keyboard to the left/right arrow keys would let you navigate the modes.

(There might be a hiccup if your keyboard doesn't like being used by more than one app at the same time. One workaround in that case would be to install a virtual MIDI driver like LoopBe1 or loopMIDI and have Synthesia additionally output to that device (for "My Notes" only), too. Then, AutoHotKey could just watch the echoed/duplicate MIDI output stream from Synthesia without any problems with more than one app using your keyboard at once.)

Again, that isn't a good solution unless you're familiar with doing those sorts of things, but it would probably do the job. (And getting some familiarity with AutoHotKey is a nice time investment in any event. It's a very powerful/convenient tool that can be used for all sorts of things.)

In the meantime, we should add shortcuts to launch the song with the various modes. It does seem like a rather large number of shortcut bindings though: melody left, melody right, melody both, rhythm left, rhythm right, etc.
pepzi

Post by pepzi »

Thank you very much, I think this might be the best support I've ever gotten anywhere, taking your time and thinking through my "problem" and ways to fix it. Kudos for that!

I written a couple of smaller AutoHotKey scripts before and I know several programming languages, so I will play with what you suggested as soon as I have some free time.