How do I get my old profile back?

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Farflame

Post by Farflame »

I've installed Synthesia on a new PC. Have no problem unlocking the license and it remembers who I am, but I can't work out how to retrieve my profile. I do have access to my old PC files if they're stored on there. I can type in a name with the same profile name but it doesn't retrieve my stats or anything.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

On your old PC, hold your Shift key while launching Synthesia. (Assuming a relatively recent version of Synthesia), that should show the configuration window. Click the "Open Data Folder" button.

If you copy all the files in the folder that appears over to your new PC (by following the same procedure there to navigate to the same folder), all of your data will appear exactly as it was on the old PC.
Farflame

Post by Farflame »

Well all of my old PC files are on this PC on a slave-drive, so hopefully I can do it on this PC. I'll have a go, thanks.
Farflame

Post by Farflame »

Doh, I only have my documents from the old PC, I don't have Windows. Is the profile stored with the program files? There's no way to retrieve it if I don't have that access?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The actual path is usually something like C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Synthesia

If you saved your user profile folder, you should still have it.
Farflame

Post by Farflame »

Oh sweet, I have that and I see a bunch of files. I can't actually open Synthesia on the old PC as suggested, but since I do have access to these files, can I just copy them to the same folder on this PC? I'll try that and get back if it fails to work.
Farflame

Post by Farflame »

Problem is, I can't find the matching folder on my new PC (which is Windows 10). There's no appdata/roaming on this one. Is there somewhere else that Synthesia data might be stored?
Farflame

Post by Farflame »

Ok, I found the problem. appdata is now hidden by default in Windows. I managed to find it and retrieve it and it works. Sadly, it turns out that the profile isn't my main profile from a few years ago - looks like I restarted anyway, so it doesn't have much of my old info. Still, it works as you said. If anyone has this problem, you need to go to options in the folder window and change 'Show hidden folders' option and then you can find appdata.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The appdata folder is hidden by default all the way back to (at least) Windows 7. That's the reason we added the "Show Data Folder" shortcut on the configuration window I mentioned earlier. It skips you past the hidden part.

Another alternative: open a "Run..." prompt (shortcut: Windows key + R) and type "shell:appdata" to open it straight-away. The "shell:" prefix is an interesting one that can get you to all sorts of system locations quickly. There are a ton of them; here is a list.