Practice the Melody not available on some files

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
jimbo111

Post by jimbo111 »

Hi guys,
new to this hope you can help.
When trying to use the "Practice the melody" mode, I'm finding that those associated buttons are not present on midi files that I am currently trying to learn to play. Those buttons ARE present for the built in songs. I tried a simple test and made a 4 note midi file and this worked just fine:-) I then used that very same file, appended(pasted using app called PowerTracks Pro) the actual notes that I wanted to learn (to the 1 and only track present). Then I closed down Synthesia and reopened and reopened the very same file and the buttons under "Practice the melody", were NOT present.

Is there simple cause of this please?
If the cause is complicated, please feel free explain also.
Many thanks for any advice on this one.
Regards
Jimbo111

Windows 10 : Synthesia V 10.3.4096. Using Midi to usb - E-MU... (as prescribed)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Read the large message that appears in place of the melody/rhythm/recital buttons. It tells you what to do (and includes a button linking you to a guide showing you how to do it). ;)

We get this question more than you'd expect. Is there anything else we can do to make the extra-large help message that is directly where the buttons normally appear better at communicating that it's something that requires action? Maybe there should be grayed-out silhouettes of the usual buttons where clicking any of them produces the same guide.
assignHands.png
assignHands.png (21.65 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
jimbo111

Post by jimbo111 »

Hi Nicholas,
thanks very much for your very useful reply. This seems to have completely solved my problem.

I think your idea about the user clicking greyed out buttons that proceeds to highlight the same message is good but maybe some extra words like " you seem to be experiencing a problem, you should be able to overcome this problem by..." might work better. Of course we all work slightly differently so this might sound like Martian to some people.

Many thanks again
Rgds
"