I need help with something

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
EgMusic

Post by EgMusic »

On the MOBILE version of synthesia, I don't know how to change the default Synth, like you can on windows. Anyone know how to do this?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

On the iPad you can use the "Network" device (or a third-party app with CoreMIDI support) to re-route things.

On Android... the only other source or destination for MIDI data today has to go through the physical USB port. (Once we add support for Android 6 MIDI, that will open up a little more and be equivalent to the iPad.)
EgMusic

Post by EgMusic »

I'm sorry, could you clarify on that?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Which part was unclear?

- On iPad, it's possible to use a third-party app's synth.

- On Android, it's only possible to use a synth that is physically connected to the USB port.
EgMusic

Post by EgMusic »

Both. On the IPad, what app would I have to use to change the Synth?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Find some CoreMIDI compatible synth app on the App Store. Run both that one and Synthesia at the same time. Tell Synthesia to send its output to that app (via the Music Output list on Synthesia's Settings screen).
EgMusic

Post by EgMusic »

So you are saying that this "CoreMIDI" runs in the background? Will this work on the Kindle Fire 7"? I have my device rooted if needed.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

CoreMIDI is an Apple technology built into iOS. It lets developers talk to all sorts of MIDI devices (physically connected keyboards, software synths, Bluetooth-connected keyboards, other MIDI apps) in exactly the same way, to keep things nice and simple.

It's iOS-only, so it won't work on Android or Kindle Fire devices. (That said, Google recently added something similar to Android 6.0... which also won't work on Kindle Fire because FireOS is based on Android 5.0.)
EgMusic

Post by EgMusic »

Yes, but could I still do it with a rooted kindle fire? I installed GOOGLE PLAY into my system apps, even though it didn't come with it. I could do it with this "CoreMIDI" thing, right?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Using the current version of Synthesia:
Nicholas wrote:On Android, it's only possible to use a synth that is physically connected to the USB port.
EgMusic

Post by EgMusic »

Man. That stinks. Thanks anyways!