Keyboard and notes don't display

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
htpfactor

Post by htpfactor »

I just installed the free version of 10.3.4096 to test it. I have Windows 7 and verified OpenGL 2.0 was supported and functional on my card. Midi plays and my Yamaha keyboard is communicating without issue. The display does not show the falling notes or the keyboard at the bottom of the screen. Clicking on the area where the keyboard is supposed to be produces the corresponding note. If I scroll to the left or right, you do see the arrows indicating the notes are on either side of the displayed window. Scroll left and right does not bring the notes into view. Anyone have a clue what is going on?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This is usually a missing or out of date graphics driver.

There are two or three cards that were released just as OpenGL 2.0 was being ratified that reported they were compatible but actually weren't 100% of the way there. Those cases are very rare. The rest of the time, the appropriate, latest driver has been able to get the keyboard and falling notes to appear.

Do you happen to know which model graphics hardware your computer is using?
htpfactor

Post by htpfactor »

Radeon X600. Verified OpenGL using OpenGL Extension Viewer. GL Report attached. Dropped back to 10.2 and works fine but would like to get 10.3 to work before paying for a code.
Attachments
GL Report.txt
(35.06 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks for the GL Report! The X600 is definitely one of those ancient cards that falls into that gray area where they were still figuring out which hardware was going to qualify as fully OpenGL 2.0 compatible.

I was able to find a mention on the OpenGL site about a bug in the ATI drivers for those older cards that prevented the feature in Synthesia that is causing you to see black instead of stretched textures. They mentioned a possible workaround, so I went ahead and added it to the latest dev preview of Synthesia 10.4. If you could, try downloading 10.4.4393 from the pink box at the top of this page and let me know if that fixes it. It's worth a shot.

Thanks again!