iPad input problems?

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
bgr

Post by bgr »

I'm having trouble getting my keyboard to talk with my iPad. I can get output, but no input. The app detects the keyboard under input and output, but won't actually register any keys being pressed. This same setup worked previously, although it's been several months I think.

Details:
IOS 11.2
app 10.4.4396
Yamaha DGX-202
E-MU Xmidi 1x1
apple USB/lightning adapter thingy

The weird part is that the same midi adapter works fine on PC. Both input and output. The adapter has a little light to indicate it's communicating... that light doesn't turn on when I press any keys if it's connected to the ipad, but does blink when I'm playing something connected to PC. Weird?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

At any point when plugging or unplugging any of the cables into your iPad, did you get an "Accessory not Supported" or "Insufficient Power" popup message?

Usually after you see one of those, the iPad kind of throws up its arms and ignores anything you plug into the port until you do a full power cycle (hold the sleep button, swipe to power off, etc.)

After turning off and on your iPad, do you have any better luck?
bgr

Post by bgr »

No messages like that. I did a full power cycle, killed any recent/open apps, and tried again, same result. Weird that it can play songs through the keyboard but not take input.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That is definitely strange. This may actually be something like an actual, physical problem with the input side of the MIDI adapter (or worse, the MIDI port on the keyboard).

You could get a second opinion: if you've got a computer nearby, try the adapter and keyboard with the PC or Mac version of Synthesia. Does it behave the same way with output-only and no input?
bgr

Post by bgr »

bgr wrote:The weird part is that the same midi adapter works fine on PC. Both input and output. The adapter has a little light to indicate it's communicating... that light doesn't turn on when I press any keys if it's connected to the ipad, but does blink when I'm playing something connected to PC.
I think you may be right that it’s a physical problem - but it seems to be with the iPad USB adapter. Good news though, I have the adapter that has the extra lightning input so you can charge at the same time, and I discovered that it works fine if I give it power while playing. :D

Who knows how long before it dies entirely, but at least I have some idea what the problem is. If it does die, I’ll probably just go for the Bluetooth option as a replacement. Thanks!
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

bgr wrote:Good news though, I have the adapter that has the extra lightning input so you can charge at the same time, and I discovered that it works fine if I give it power while playing. :D

Who knows how long before it dies entirely, but at least I have some idea what the problem is.
That sounds like more power is required on the USB side than the iPad can provide. That means your fix should work forever.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/