Synthesia doesn't wait for me

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
coskel2

Post by coskel2 »

I was using Synthesia last winter with an M Audio Keystation Pro 88. M Audio USB interface to a PC running Win7.

Stopped using it for a few months, fired it up again, and it no longer waits for me to hit a key instead it just plays through.
These are all songs I have played before many times. The system has notated the number of plays.
I saw this thread
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3124&p=20007&hilit= ... ait#p20007

but the solution doesn't apply - Synthesia knows I have played the songs before.
Should I reinstall the software?

Thanks in advance
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Is your Keystation 88 Pro still showing up in the list of Music Input devices on the Settings screen? (And is it still enabled and with the range set to 88 keys?)

When you choose melody practice for a song and then play keys on your keyboard while the song is running, do you see your input being shown on the on-screen keyboard at the bottom of the screen?
coskel2

Post by coskel2 »

and no, it does not show my keystrokes at all.

Also, I forgot to mention I am using Ableton Live 9 basic as the interface.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Looking at your setup screen, I'm not sure I follow how Abelton is helping. What did you mean by using it "as the interface"?

Since your Keystation is appearing in the list directly, what is the "USB Uno MIDI Interface"? Is that the "M Audio USB interface" you'd mentioned before? Unless you've got something connected to the MIDI port on your USB interface, that input/output won't do anything.

Even the "MIDIIN2 (Keystation Pro 88)" is strange when there is another "Keystation Pro 88" just above it.

Just for troubleshooting, try the following:
  1. Completely disconnect your M-Audio USB interface.
  2. Close Ableton.
  3. Connect your Keystation Pro 88 using the USB port directly to your computer (only; disconnect any MIDI cables).
At this point, with any luck, you'll only have two devices in each of those lists on Synthesia's settings screen. Try setting them up this way:

- Synthesia Virtual Piano → Off
- Keystation Pro 88 → 88 Keys

- Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth → Everything
- Keystation Pro 88 → Off

Does that get things working in Melody practice? Does the song respond/stop when you play keys there now?