Graphics issue after window reduction to windows taskbar

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
ChrisTitof972

Post by ChrisTitof972 »

Hi,

Synthesia normal window looks like this (see picture 1) --> pay attention to the virtual keyboard size
1.png
1.png (236.88 KiB) Viewed 5064 times
But if I reduce the Synthesia app down to the taskbar to open up another window, then when I come back to Synthesia, the keyboard has been chopped in half (as per picture 2), and the only way to get it back full size is to close Synthesia app and restart it all together.
Going into settings and returning to the FreePlay Mode doesn't solve the issue, only closing the software and reopening it solves it.
2.png
2.png (231.87 KiB) Viewed 5064 times
Could that be solved please.

Kind regards,

Chris
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That's an interesting problem I don't think we've seen before.

Just to collect a little more information:

1. Does it still happen if you're in full-screen mode? (Press Alt-Enter to switch. Then, after an Alt-tab and back, does the problem still happen?)

2. Does it still happen if your taskbar is only a single row of icons tall? (It looks like the amount being cut off is the same as the height of that second row.)
ChrisTitof972

Post by ChrisTitof972 »

Hi Nicholas, awesome, I'll check tomorrow morning.

Regarding your poitn numebr 1, I will check it up for you, but due to me doing some screen capture recordings via another software, I need it to not be in Fullscreen mode though.
Your point number 2 could actually make sense, I'll let you know if that's what caused the issue or if the issue is still persistent.

FYI: I run it on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, running Windows 10.

Thanks, much appreciate your time taken to help me out.
ChrisTitof972

Post by ChrisTitof972 »

Hi Nicholas,
I checked the two test you had asked me to try,
1- after having at least once reduced the app to the taskbar, then pulled it back up,
1- it still, even in fullscreen mode, crops out at least a third of the virtual keyboard...
2- I tried to reduce my task bar to one row (as per a normal task bar) and it still has the issue...

Kind regards,

Chris
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Sorry for the wait on this.

Looking at the specs for the Surface Pro 4, all of them have Intel 5xx graphics. There was recently a (mostly) similar bug in Intel's graphics drivers for the 5xx series that was cutting the top of the app off in OpenGL applications. I wonder if the same fix wouldn't help here, too.

Could you try grabbing the latest Intel graphics driver (at least a month ago, it looked like they were releasing one every couple weeks) and check to see if that fixes it? Thanks!
ChrisTitof972

Post by ChrisTitof972 »

Hi Nicholas, I will double check that and let you know.

Thank you
ChrisTitof972

Post by ChrisTitof972 »

After a Clean reinstall of windows on my surface pro 4, and reinstalling Synthesia, and updating the drivers (graphic card...),
The issue no longer exists.

Thank you, you were right in suggesting it might be drivers issue.

Kind regards,

Chris