Sound turns distorted after 15-60 min use

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Fortvila

Post by Fortvila »

So just purchased Synthesia today to use with my EZ-220 and everything is working great, untill about 15-60 min after using the program, every sound becomes distorted. The sound from the keyboard keys and even the inprogram sounds (The keyboard speakers sound just fine).

The sound gets fixed by closing and reopening the program or simple turning off the keyboard and then back on.

Is there any permanent fix to this, very irritating to have the sound go all crazy distorted mid songs =/

Using Win 10
and the newest MIDI driver for the keyboard.

Tried running the program as admin and without - No change
Tried running in win 8 compatibility mode - no change
Tested with diffrent USB Ports- no change

Also noticed that if i play with distorted sound for 2-5 min it somethimes fixes itself, but then again it keep comming back after 15-60 min
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This might sound strange, but: if you uninstall the Yamaha driver and just use the generic MIDI driver built into Windows, does the same problem happen?
Fortvila

Post by Fortvila »

Found a workaround, Just disabled the Microsoft synth and instead using the buildin one for the keyboard and connecting headset to the keyboard directly. No more distored sound no matter how long i play.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Oh! Sorry for the misunderstanding! I thought the corrupted sound was coming from your keyboard.

It makes a lot more sense that it is coming from the Microsoft synth. That's a new synth that they just added to Windows 10 and we've learned since then that it has some bugs. (There are regular pops and clicks in the audio because of buffer underruns.) In the upcoming, small 10.5 bug-fix release we'll be switching the default away from that one.

In any event, that's good news that you're back up and running! And your keyboard's synth is probably higher quality and lower latency than any of the built-in synths on your computer.