Synthesia not picking up 2 or more notes at once.

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
ollie4454

Post by ollie4454 »

So ive plugging in my keyboard and it can play note, set the range and stuff but i cant play 2 notes at once. When i play one note and hold it down it will pick it up but as soon as press another note it stops saying that im pressing the first note. And what makes this even weirder is that the sound doesnt stop. the synthesia program will still make the sound for the note even tho it doesnt say its being pressed.

Someone please help because i cant play any songs with this happening.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Which model keyboard are you using and how is it connected to your computer(? tablet? iPad?)

Do you have a USB-to-MIDI adapter too? Does it look like this one?

EDIT:
I just saw your email on the same subject. The Roland UM-ONE mk2 is reputable. Instead, try this:

1. Hold your Shift key while launching Synthesia (to open the configuration window).
2. Find the "Midi.UseWinRTMidi" entry in the Setting drop-down box.
3. Remove the check mark from the "Value" box.

That should be it. After you close the configuration window and launch Synthesia normally, does it start reading more than one key at a time?
ollie4454

Post by ollie4454 »

I changed the setting but it changed nothing. Its still acting the exact same as before :(
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Which kind of keyboard are you using again?

If you download the (free) MIDI-OX utility, and set it up to monitor your keyboard's input, what do you see when you press several keys at once?
ollie4454

Post by ollie4454 »

I've uploaded a picture of the midi monitor.
This is what comes up when i press only c4 a few times and then c4 and d4 together a few times.

midi monitor.PNG
midi monitor.PNG (249.7 KiB) Viewed 4895 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Which model keyboard do you have (for the third time :lol: )?

It seems to have a very peculiar way of communicating your note presses. Those "All Notes Off" messages are what's causing the bad behavior. Usually a keyboard will send a regular "Note Off" that matches each "Note On". Instead, your keyboard appears to be saying "whatever is going on right now, make it stop because I've got a new note for you!"
ollie4454

Post by ollie4454 »

sorry, my keyboard is a base mk-939s
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yep, it looks like lots of people have the exact same trouble with that keyboard. For whatever reason, Base decided to send "All Notes Off" whenever you release a key, which doesn't really let external software work very well. While they can technically say that the keyboard "supports MIDI", there isn't much you'll be able to do with.

The best workaround is to simply try a different keyboard.
ollie4454

Post by ollie4454 »

Damn :( thanks for the help anyway.