Keyboard not sending Note Off MIDI

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
chinery

Post by chinery »

I'm trying to set up my Yamaha Clavinova CVP-201 to use Synthesia. I bought a MIDI-bluetooth adaptor off Amazon that was slightly thinner than the recommended one since the piano sits close to the wall https://www.amazon.co.uk/Docooler-HiFin ... B07285255H.

I don't really have a lot of experience with MIDI, but I think the piano isn't sending Note Off signals. When I try to use Synesthesia, the first note works but then subsequent notes aren't recognised until after a long delay. Strangely, pressing keys on the iPad seems to output to the piano mostly fine (the same key in rapid succession isn't always recognised).

Anything I can try to fix it? Tried all the settings on the piano but didn't seem to change anything. The only thing that worked was moving the accompaniment volume slider just after playing a note (although I only tested this in midiwrench). I recognise there's a chance it's the off-brand MIDI adaptor in which case I will just send it back, but thought it was worth asking since it seems like odd behaviour.

(Using latest version of Synesthesia on iPad, but don't think it's the game's fault!)

After pressing the key once, the game stops.

Thanks!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, the Note On events there with "velocity=0" also count as Note Off events. (It's a bit of an optimization in the MIDI spec; assuming a stream of on/off only, you can save 1 in 3 bytes sent if you make them all ons instead.)

That said, there is still some strange interleaving going on. Two (real) on's followed by only a single off is... not right.

Judging by the only other review for that adapter at Amazon.co.uk (which seems to describe something similar to what you're experiencing), I want to blame the adapter. Or, at the very least we haven't heard this from anyone using the Yamaha adapter. As a quick double-check, if you have any way to connect it (wired) to something else (say, a PC or Mac) that can also run Synthesia, that might help narrow things down between the keyboard or the adapter.
chinery

Post by chinery »

Thanks for the information, interesting (and sensible!). I've ordered a USB adaptor so I can test it with that. Hopefully it is just the adaptor...! Will report back...
chinery

Post by chinery »

Sure enough, the USB adaptor worked fine. Turns out Synthesia on my larger laptop screen works quite nicely so I returned the bluetooth adaptor and bought the unlock key for Synthesia instead!

Thanks again, glad it's not a problem with the keyboard but sorry to waste your time debugging more adaptor issues.