Keyboard Issues on Chromebook

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
HivesArk

Post by HivesArk »

Hi! I have Synthesia on my Chromebook, and I'm trying to connect my CASIO keyboard to it. However, it isn't appearing in the settings and I can't find a driver for it. Can anyone help me with this issue?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The Android emulation layer in Chrome OS doesn't allow access to connected USB devices, unfortunately. More information here.

The short version is that while Synthesia technically runs just fine on a Chromebook, you can't connect a keyboard.
raduma

Post by raduma »

Hi, I'm wondering if you good folks at Synthesia could revisit this topic. Chromeos added support for standard Android MIDI API to work normally for Android apps under ChromeOS in the last month or so. For example, the midi debugging app Midiscope runs fine on my pixelbook connected to my keyboard, can enumerate the keyboard and see all events. Synthesia though still doesn't see it. Not exactly sure what the remaining issues are, but I would love it if it could be made to work.

Thanks!
--radu
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I coincidentally saw the same bit of info just a few hours ago!

The good news is that I've been (and still am) ripping apart our Android MIDI implementation for a few weeks now in an effort to finally add Bluetooth MIDI support. What also came along for the ride was about 90% of the work to support the new Android M MIDI stuff. It hasn't been a particularly rewarding task so far, but seeing this ChromeOS news, I'm definitely going to include that last 10% now. Beyond ChromeOS, the Android M API lets you do inter-app MIDI communication, so it will be even nicer to have.

Expect this feature, BLE MIDI, and what will hopefully be official ChromeOS support in the Synthesia 10.5 update.
raduma

Post by raduma »

Excellent! Thank you greatly. And happy to be a guinea pig if you end up needing beta testers.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Actually, there's going to be at least one round of Android beta this time around. You can opt-in to the testing program, at which point Google Play will keep you up to date with the latest beta automatically (just like regular app updates).
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I have an exciting status update: tonight is the first time I've had the Android M MIDI API up and running, end-to-end in our code-base. So, while I've been knee deep in trying to... come to terms with(?) the raging dumpster fire that is the state of Bluetooth MIDI on Android (it's really bad!), I just got a brief reprieve when I took a few minutes to get my test Chromebook into Developer Mode and try out the new Android M stuff there.

The Bluetooth stuff on the Chromebook is still just as awful as it is on my other half-dozen Android test devices (think random delays between a quarter to a half second on every note, maybe 10-40% of all notes dropped, etc.) but when I directly connected a USB digital piano, it showed up in the list immediately and it worked flawlessly for as long as I cared to play a few songs!

That means Synthesia 10.5 is going to open the doors to official Chromebook support! :D

(There is still plenty of work -- besides wrestling with Bluetooth -- before the first beta is ready to go out the door. This is just a quick status update while I'm still basking in the warm glow of an unexpected successful test.)