Tempo not correct

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
jaypackard

Post by jaypackard »

I exported a midi file from Cubase with tempo changes. It plays the tempo correctly in VLC, but not in synthesia. The midi is out of sync with the tempo changes.
Attachments
Untitled.midi
Slows down too soon at the end
(3.58 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I think I was able to hear what you are talking about. Playing Synthesia simultaneously with either VLC or Windows Media Player, they are in perfect sync (just a slight "echo" between them, depending on how closely together I could hit the play buttons) until that last measure.

VLC and WMP agree on the speed of the last measure. Synthesia is different.

Looking inside the MIDI file, the 34 tempo changes in that last measure seem to be just fine. There are lots of duplicates (e.g., 17 identical tempo events in a row between measures 18 and 23, etc.), which is a little strange for Cubase to be exporting. Worse are the five zero-tempo events throughout the song, which I'd consider a bug on their part. If any of those weren't accompanied by a "real" tempo change on the same MIDI pulse, the song would stop and never complete!

All of that aside, I'm curious why Synthesia's opinion is different than the other two players. I will look into it.

EDIT: I found it. It was caused by Synthesia (mis-)handling the bad, zero-tempo events in an unexpected way. That fix will show up in the next Synthesia 10.5 preview. Thanks for the report!