Sound is terrible every now and then

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
mikk809h

Post by mikk809h »

Hello!

I just bought Synthesia the other day, and i have noticed a weird annoying problem, which is that the sound every now and then goes "crazy" (Scratchy and like sound is just lagging out) It only lasts for around 5 seconds, but that is really annoying when learning/playing with Synthesia.

I have not yet tested with a keyboard plugged in (Still looking for a decent piano for my needs).
I am running Windows 10 Pro (Latest updates)
I have Synthesia version 10.4.4395 installed

I do not have any other tasks running in the background that might interfere with the computer hardware.

If necessary, I can upload an audio example.

Have anyone else encountered any similar happenings?

Thanks in Advance.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Try this:
  1. Hold your Shift key while launching Synthesia (to open the configuration window).
  2. Find the "Midi.UseWinRTMidi" entry in the Setting drop-down box.
  3. Remove the check mark from the "Value" box.
That should be it. After you close the configuration window and start Synthesia normally, hopefully the quality problems will go away.

I'm guessing it's the "improved" UWP MIDI synth in Windows 10. We switched Synthesia over to using Microsoft's new stuff and have seen no end to the new crash reports and the synth is crackly and poppy a lot of the time. Those steps above will switch back to the 20 year old MME code that seems to be a bit more reliable.

Unfortunately, the MME synth has rather high latency. To solve all of the above outright, we're actually working on adding our own MIDI synth to Synthesia in the 10.5 update. That should avoid the clips/pops/crazy in the new and be much lower latency than the old.
mikk809h

Post by mikk809h »

That seems to have worked!

Thank you for your response, And I look forward for the 10.5 update :D