Crackling audio?

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Stockley

Post by Stockley »

I just recently purchased Synesthesia and all of the audio crackles. At first I thought I just downloaded a bad MIDI file but every song in the app crackles. I had a few instances where closing and opening the app again fixed the issue, but it's very rare to get it to work. I'm on Windows 10 and I have v10.4.4395. Anyone know a fix for this issue?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This sounds like a bug in Windows 10's new MIDI synth.

Try this:
1. Hold your Shift key while launching Synthesia (to open the configuration window).
2. Find the "Midi.UseWinRTMidi" entry in the Setting drop-down box.
3. Remove the check mark from the "Value" box.

That will switch Synthesia back to using the original Windows MME MIDI synth (released with Windows 3.1 over 26 years ago!) that trades the new crackling audio for the old higher latency. We're hoping to solve both problems outright in the Synthesia 10.5 update where we'll be including our own synth that suffers from neither problem. :)