Android 8 with Clavia MIDI

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
offrhodes

Post by offrhodes »

Hi,

this relates to 10.4.4393 on Android 8, both a Huawei MediaPad M5 (Android 8.0.0) and an older Nexus 5 (Android 8.1.0) with a USB 3.0 adapter cable:
MIDI works fine with a Roland GoPiano (which is a fairly modern device), but I can't make it to work with Clavia Nord Keyboards, tried Stage 2.0 EX and Electro 5 (both fairly recent keyboards)
What happens is that Synthesia hangs, either on opening (once it shows the USB MIDI device in the list of inputs), or on programming the range after the first noteon event it receives.

There is a program on PlayStore called "USB MIDI monitor" (BTW: recommended - free, no ads). This one shows correct MIDI operation for both Android devices.
The Clavia USB interface is a known troublemaker : I did some unrelated experiments with bare-metal programming on a Raspi where the GoPiano works fine but the Clavia unit crashes the USB driver after a minute or two. I suspect it's class-compliant but configured very aggressively for lowest latency.
But as said, it works fine with the USB MIDImon app, so it may be some simple issue on the Synthesia side, e.g. the driver is producing a higher rate of time stamps than expected or something like that (just guessing).
offrhodes

Post by offrhodes »

works with the latest beta (wasn't aware of it until now).
Case closed...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yep, the beta uses the new MIDI features introduced in Android M. It's good to hear things are working for you now! :)