Choppiness

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Chawot

Post by Chawot »

I have Synthesia 10.1 and I have been experiencing weird choppiness when I choose to watch and listen a midi.

About two months ago I unistalled Synthesia to clean my pc and then installed it back a few days later, however the performance wasn't as smooth as butter as before. Every few seconds there is this noticeable choppiness that persists despite having a FPS of 100-115 and I have no idea what could be causing it.

I have to mention that:

- My drivers are all up to date
- I tried other versions of Synthesia (the problem was worse)
- Tried closing any running background program
- Tried to reinstall the program a few times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

We've been trying to improve this each release (the upcoming 10.5 should be better than it has been; and with any luck 10.6 should be a huge improvement bordering on a complete fix).

All of the steps you listed (especially closing background apps like Chrome) are good ideas. Here is one more workaround that might help: scrub through the song first. That is, after clicking play, click in the timeline area and drag through it so every measure appears on-screen for at least one frame. (Depending on the length of the song, this can be done very quickly.) Then, when you rewind to the very beginning, that should make some of the hiccups go away.
Chawot

Post by Chawot »

Nicholas,

Thank you for the suggestion, I tried it out and it helped a bit for a few midi files. Sadly, it did not work for the majority of my files.
I will try reinstalling a few more times in hope it will start working properly as it did before.