Now what...?

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
SYLVERSECOND

Post by SYLVERSECOND »

I had Synthesia 10.2. I got myself CoolSynthMIDI and MIDI Mapper Configurator as suggested from Synthesia.
I tried and tweaked and forgot I had this issue for a couple of weeks. Today I wanted to describe
my problem with CoolSynth in regards to Synthesia and re-checked for an update of Synthesia.
I saw that Synthesia 10.5.1 is out now. I updated my version and checked the settings to see that
there is a Build in MIDI synthesizer in there now.
I already got 2 SoundFonts in CoolSynthMIDI.
I managed to test and run everything in FL Studio, wanted to try out Cubase later on...

Here are my specs:
- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Version 1809
- Yamaha PSR-S710
- Yamaha UR22 USB Soundcard
- FLStudio 20
- EarMaster 7

#1 What is with the Build in MIDI Synthesizer in Synthesia? Is it a bigger improvement?
#2 I got myself already CoolSynthMIDI and the MIDI Mapper Configurator. I was able to run it in FL Studio to play around with VSTis (therefore I don't need SoundFonts for that?). It worked so far. Another program also recognized CoolSynth.
Only Synthesia has problems recognizing the software. How do I fix this?
I like the fact that I can tweak around in my MIDI configuration. Sadly I don't have much
know-how in that area.
'I am therefore I do,
Explore. I am the weaver,
I do therefore become,
A seer and believer.'
- Puscifer - The Weaver
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, Synthesia 10.5.1 should still be showing VirtualMIDISynth in the list of MIDI output devices.

Otherwise, the new built-in synth is based on exactly the same SoundFont-based synth that VirtualMIDISynth uses. As long as you place your SF2 files someplace that Synthesia is already searching for songs, you should be able to head over to Settings --> Built-in MIDI Synthesizer and see a list of those SoundFonts that Synthesia has detected. You can pick one from the list there and it should sound identical to VirtualMIDISynth.

Also: congratulations on your first post! You've been a member since 2013 and just now posted, hehe. :D
SYLVERSECOND

Post by SYLVERSECOND »

It shows the Build-In MIDI Synthesizer, the CoolSoft MIDIMapper, Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth and My Steinberg UR22.

I can't use the CoolSoft MIDIMapper though.
As far as I understood it, I NEED the MIDI Mapper Configurator for the CoolSoft MIDIMapper to work properly, right?

I can tweak more around in regards to the latency in the CoolSoft MIDIMapper though, right?
I can also change the sound fonts, if I feel like it in there.

The Build-In MIDI Synthesizer is better than the crappy Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, that is for sure.
But I still feel some delay while playing. I suppose this is because of the settings of the Build-In MIDI Synthesizer.

I would've postet never ever in here (not because I despise this forum), if it hadn't been for the Microsoft geniuses to reduce the
MIDI functions in Windows more and more. I heard some serious delay while playing. I didn't have that problem in Windows 8.1.
Windows 10 set me off though. I wish I could switch to Linux, but I'm basically trapped with the software that I use for Windows.

I see you guys even have an Android version out there. If you guys also switch to Linux... that would be lovely.

Edit: I just wanted to update my profile. I saw that it recognized totally harmless sites of mine as spam. I also saw something of a spamming-attack on this site.
Could it be that every site is detected as spam?
'I am therefore I do,
Explore. I am the weaver,
I do therefore become,
A seer and believer.'
- Puscifer - The Weaver
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm not sure about the mapper being required. I've used VirtualMIDISynth without it. It should be showing up in the list either way.

In any event, you can also change the SoundFont with the built-in synth, too. Instructions, here. (The instrument samples in the font actually have a small impact on the perceived latency, so perhaps testing the same font in both synths will show less delay.)

I know what you mean about the Windows synth getting worse every few years. I've been watching it happen since Windows 2000. :?

Regarding the spam filter, we have it set very aggressive because the spam accounts try all sorts of tricks to make it through. The good news is that I think you just reached the number of posts where you will no longer be checked against the filter.