IPad - when are you supposed to hit the notes?

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
biojack

Post by biojack »

Hi, I’m a beginner and this is my second time trying to use Synthesia, this time using an iPad Pro 10.5 instead of PC. At first I thought something was wrong with the app since when hitting “longer” note it would just stop scrolling from the beginning of the note even though I was still holding the proper key on my keyboard. It would start scrolling again as soon as I would release the note. I’m not quite sure what the normal behaviour is but after playing with it for about an hour I think I have figured out the “issue”. It looks like I have to hit the notes a little early; Are you supposed to hit the notes when they hit the keyboard or before? Perhaps there a way to adjust the timing for it to be spot on, meaning when they hit the keyboard? It doesn’t appear to be a lag issue since I can see the key “lighting up” on the app screen just ahead of the scrolling notes.

Thanks!

Additional info:
I’m mainly trying to figure out if the iPad app would be a better option for me. I purchased the PC version perhaps a year or so ago but after a few try I realized that it was too complicated to unplug everything and move my computer each time. I just want to make sure everything is working properly on the iPad before purchasing the app. I’ve been wanting to learn the piano for a while and I really enjoy Rockband on the Xbox. I’m also learning to read music... but that’s going to take a while. My keyboard is a clavinova cvp-509 (with the lights above the key) and it’s connected with a lightning to USB cable.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, it sounds like you're doing everything correctly. There should be a short window of time a little before until a little after the note reaches the keyboard that it will register as pressed correctly.

Try changing this option: Settings --> Gameplay --> Incorrect Notes --> Are Ignored.

Does that make it behave any better?