Advice buying a MIDI cable

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Apryed

Post by Apryed »

Hello forum, first message here...

I need a little advice on which cable I should buy to play Synthesia with my sister old Keyboard ( Kawai X130 - 61 Keys - MIDI In/Out Connection able ).

I was thinking about this MIDI to USB cable - Docooler HiFing USB IN-out Cable Midi ( Amazon Spain Link ).

I know it's cheap, don't have much money on me to spend, and I want to keep it as low cost as it could be.

Thanks in advance, going to try to get my hands on the ladder to grab the KB so I can tell you the model.

Notes:
SO : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits
Game Version : Latest ( I'll start with Free Version, then when I'm able I'll pay for it )
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That adapter looks a lot like these. (Second post down.) I'd avoid the generic "white label" adapters, if you can.
Apryed

Post by Apryed »

I haven't read that post much, but some people claim to be using cables as the one posted to be avoided.

Either they work or they don't, if they fail for some users ( Not all of them ) most of the time is because for 2 factors:
1. They OS is broken.
2. They were factory defective.

But I'll try to avoid it anyway... any good advice in a low cost Midi to USB cable? ( CREATIVE EMU XMIDI 1X1 USB MIDI Interface is not available in Spain to Purchase )

Not to mention that the Creative looks pretty much the same as the one I just stated before but cheaper.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It's less about "looking pretty much the same" and more about being stamped out of the exact same plastic injection molds as all the others. It is apparently a viable business model to buy five thousand units with a custom logo for $5 and re-sell them on Amazon for double that.

It's less about "factory defective" and more about leaving out components to make them cheaper to build. If your particular combination of keyboard and computer happen to work with the adapter today, their cost cutting was successful. Until it starts spuriously generating junk MIDI messages and dropping real MIDI events.

Any of the first-party music equipment companies are usually fine. Creative/EMU, M-Audio, Yamaha, Roland, Korg, etc.
Apryed

Post by Apryed »

So, I will search for them in order to buy them. Thanks for the explanation.