How-To: Transfer PC XML settings/progress files to Android

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
MarkPas

Post by MarkPas »

Windows O/S: Windows 10 1903 running Synthesia 10.6.5311; Samsung Android Tablet A running Synthesia 10.5.1.4900

I was using a laptop with Synthesia and my keyboard. I now use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A and would like to transfer all of my xml setting files from the laptop to the tablet but can't seem to find the correct directory (I'm assuming the XML files and file structure would work).
The files on the PC are stored in %AppData%\Synthesia and contain 15 Files (bindings,bookmarks2,fingers,folders,metadata_store,multiDevice,recentSongs,scores,settings,songInfo,songProgressCache,tracks,users) XML files, log.txt and news.json
On the tablet, I found the folder Android\data\com.synthesia.synthesa in the Tablet, I also have a sim card (named Card) and found the same folder there. However, both folders are empty. I have used Synthesia on the tablet with my keyboard and have some song progress data but it doesn't show in either of these 2 locations. On a whim I copied the XML files from my PC to the Tablet\Android\data\com.synthesia.synthesa, restarted Synthesia, hoping they would get picked up but no luck.

Any idea what I'm missing? Does the tablet have to be rooted?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

MarkPas wrote: 10-21-19 6:34 pmAny idea what I'm missing? Does the tablet have to be rooted?
Unfortunately, yes.

For the first year or so of the Android app, we tried to keep the files in the public "Card" location so they'd be accessible for exactly the kind of thing you are trying to do, but we ran into no end of trouble. Despite Google claiming that location should always be present (even if you don't have a card plugged in; a "virtual" one is supposed to be created in its place), we ran into plenty of devices where the location simply wasn't present, leading to crashes and/or lost data.

In the end, the only reliable location seemed to be the internal storage that is inaccessible unless your device is rooted.

For this reason (and because the situation has always been that way from day 1 on the iPad), I'd like to eventually get an "import/export settings" feature added where you can get the whole (zipped up) bundle in or out of the app with a couple button presses inside the app. When we switch over to a single SQLite database soon, this next step should become much easier, so there is a good chance we'll be able to add it sooner rather than later.
MarkPas

Post by MarkPas »

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure I want to root my tablet over this... so perhaps I'll wait...
In any case, great product. I know it keeps you busy constantly but know that your efforts are really appreciated!
:D