Has anyone used Sythesia to *memorize* pieces?

Discuss methods, books, lessons, and websites you use to learn.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
SexieWASD

Post by SexieWASD »

I got my first keyboard a few months ago and started by teaching myself out of a college text book. Great book, but I realized that I need to get more familiar with the piano before i would understand the theory so I started playing Synthesia. I got decent at playing the right hand of "He's a pirate" but as soon as the game was off there was just nothing, couldn't even get started. Since last night by closing my eyes and playing I've got the right hand part 100% and can play it (not full speed) without the computer on at all.

The trick was just to get out of using my visual perception at all and to have an image of the piano in my head. I still used Synthesia to memorize it. I don't know if it is supposed to or not, but the wrong keys are noticeably quieter than the correct ones, so when i make a mistake I know it but am forced to remember the right way instead of using visual feedback.

(Unrelated)
Is it possible to make the sheet music cover the whole note area? that would help me a lot with sight reading.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

SexieWASD wrote:Is it possible to make the sheet music cover the whole note area? that would help me a lot with sight reading.
0.8.2 will get the sheet display a lot closer to that goal, and I'm guessing "falling notes off, sheet music only" is probably going to be around the 0.8.3 release.