Easy mode for any midi

Discuss methods, books, lessons, and websites you use to learn.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Phil2003

Post by Phil2003 »

Hi,

My problem is my motivation or frustration. I love to play songs, and learn to play the instrument as a by-product, not the other way around. This way im playing a lot of my times on a Roland HD1 (drums) and Rock Band 3, from easy to medium to expert. This keeps me going and motivated, whereas i lose my motivation if i have no chance from the beginning to play something id like to. I know, thats the way it is, but i thought about methods to make different difficulty modes in midis.

Maybe one approach would be to assign a different piano to parts of the song (like left and right hand) and let that play from the pc. Afaik there are only two similar piano instruments in midis, so that woulndt get me far. I dont like to slow a song down, because then its not a song anymore to enjoy... if you know what i mean.

Any ideas are very welcome!

Thanks,
Phil
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

The reason easy modes work on Rock Band is because in the easier levels correctly playing your "note" causes all the real notes to be played until your next "note". Synthesia doesn't provide for that way of playing. Phase Shift does provide this. The next hurdle is that it takes some effort to set up a song to be played in Rock Band or Phase Shift. You can't just grab a MIDI file and play along.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Phil2003

Post by Phil2003 »

Right, Frats on Fire is a Guitar Hero or Rock Band Clone. Well, at least that would be a possibility...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimhenry wrote:Synthesia doesn't provide for that way of playing.
I'd imagine it's not any harder than FoF or Phase Shift. The behavior wouldn't be identical, but you could split out the majority of the "real" notes into a background track and only leave simpler (cue?) notes in the user-played track.

A missed note would still let you hear the background stuff, but in melody practice the effect would be that it sounds like you're playing the complete version of the song despite only playing a fraction.
schopenhauer

Post by schopenhauer »

i've tried messing around with it & you could create them yourself.
all you need is is a music notation software & a midi or sheet music.

but i really doubt that there's a lot of use for this
because the more complex the piece gets the more editing has to be done
i uploaded two very simple example midi songs (scarborough fair & a folk song from 1800 something)

the folk song shows the melody but actually plays rhythm in the background
and scarborough fair shows chords but plays broken chords which i guess could be used to learn the chord pattern.

on both midis you have to hide the green bars and set it to played by synthesia.
Attachments
SF-DGSF-S.zip
(1.71 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

schopenhauer wrote:on both midis you have to hide the green bars and set it to played by synthesia.
You could use the Metadata Editor to pre-bake things in like which parts should be shown/hidden. That would at least remove one of the configuration steps for others.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

schopenhauer wrote:i've tried messing around with it & you could create them yourself.
all you need is is a music notation software & a midi or sheet music.
Or you use Keykit, its command line component, lowkey.exe and some keykit code lines *.k which does the decomposition for you, then AutoHotkey so you can run all in one shot, doing the midi file decomposition, generating the right Synthesia command line, which notes/channels should be hidden and which not and you have all. Very easy to use, with any midi file. Extendable according to your future ideas. Thanks to Tim Thompson and his fantastic and magic Keykit.

Great examples Schopenhauer! So I should also recommend something from Schopenhauer here: http://coolhaus.de/art-of-controversy/ He likes and recommends also Bhagavad Gita, so read it also, if you want.
schopenhauer

Post by schopenhauer »

TonE wrote:So I should also recommend something from Schopenhauer here: http://coolhaus.de/art-of-controversy/
good read
thanks for the link