Learning Chords.. Any advice?

Discuss methods, books, lessons, and websites you use to learn.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

kiwi wrote:Like others said it's better to understand how the chords are built but personnaly i know some chords instantly it's usefull for improvisation.
Just so I am not misunderstood, my view is that knowing how chords are built is useful for one reason only--so you can figure out a chord for the purpose of learning it. For playing chordal music, e.g. blues, jazz, pop, rock, etc., you must know how to play the chords used without thinking.

To learn a song, look at the chords used in the song. If there are any you don't know, then learn the new chords before you attempt to learn the song.

There is no magic silver bullet for learning chords or music in general. It simply comes down to methodical study and practice consistently over a long period of time. Pick whatever method appeals to you. As long as it is a reasonably well worked out comprehensive plan of study, it will work if you work at it consistently for a long enough period of time.

What won't work is spending your time looking for magic methods that will teach you to play overnight. Or changing your approach every few _________ (fill in any period of time shorter than a year).

If you want to get somewhere, pick a pony and ride.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

I know some good pianists who can build a chord and have really good improvisation with them even if they haven't learned it but they have years of practice and a good ear too...

When speaking about ear recognition it's very usefull to be able to ear a major versus minor chords at least.

Personnally i have maid a lot of exercices on this (ear training software) without success so i given up.
But i know if the chord is not in key or i 'm able to reproduce a melodie by ear easyly or even sing a note by ear.
However my lack in chords recognition is really annoying so if you can work on this part it 'll be really benefit for you.

Ear master pro have ton of exercices on chords recognition.

And another goal is to chain the chords together that's why Inverted chords are very important too and usefull too.

The best is to built/grab some midi files with exercices for chords and learn them with Synthesia.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

You can use the plugin chordino for the free Sonic Visualiser to get the chords from any audio file, so any song you like. It can output the chords as midi file, too. So perfect for studying the chords of your favourite songs in Synthesia. If you would sync the output of your audio playback, e.g. in Winamp, somehow to Synthesia you could even use the original song as a backing track, for more fun. On a mixer you can adjust the loudness of the backing original song against your played (piano) sound.