How should I use Synthesia to teach my children Piano?

Discuss methods, books, lessons, and websites you use to learn.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Saadinov

Post by Saadinov »

Hello,
I bought my 10 year old children a keyboard (Yamaha ez-220) to get them started with learning . I also like Synthesia and the possibilities it offers.
The question is how to use Synthesia to teach my children the Piano from scratch ?
If you have any experience or ideas about this , I would really like to know.
Thank you
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

How much interest, if any, have the children expressed in learning piano? Would they rather learn another instrument? What types of music do they like?

Is there any possibility of the children studying with a music teacher? Getting the right start is important, especially for children. There is a lot that is better taught by a teacher who can see how the student is doing things and select exercises to address the student's individual needs.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Birdman87

Post by Birdman87 »

I don't know what kind of piano experience you have but i would start with watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vphWgqbF-AM

and either represent it to your kid or make them watch the video themselves.

Besides that find out what all the level graded classical music there is for a beginner and make them practice it on the piano using synthesia.

Even though classical music is the best proven way to make your children advance if they absolutely despise classical you will have to find certain easy pieces they enjoy and make them practice that on piano besides all the usual drills like scales, arpeggios and so on. Don't force classical on somebody who can't stand it, it drove many people away from piano.

It also depends on your goals for your children. If they have a genuine interest in piano you either let them do their own thing and they will become an average pianist or make them practice often and have a chance of becoming a great pianist someday.
alexander

Post by alexander »

I think this was a good question, but I don't think you really got a good answer to it.

I'm also really interested in exploring whether Synthesia can be used to teach a beginner how to play piano. The two answers above seem to be 'No, find a piano teacher' and 'No, you should look at some youtube videos'.

One route to use Synthesia to learn is to use the 'Piano Learning Package'
http://www.arturgajewski.com/piano/

That seems to have mixed reviews. I tried using the trial lessons - they didn't give me a clear idea of how the course would progress, and the fingering suggestions didn't appear, so I doubt the quality of it and haven't pursued it.

It feels like Synthesia is a really good tool to practice and learn songs, but is not the kind of software you can just sit down in front of and have it teach you (or your children) how to play. That's a pity, because I feel like it could be.
Spolen

Post by Spolen »

I think yes, it can be used to teach them, and depending on your skill level and ability to teach as well.
I would just hook the piano to Synthesia and have them play 1 hand at a time, then after that if you see them having trouble with certain aspects such as improper fingering or inverted chords etc. then explain to them how to improve.

It can also be good to either find, or if you have the ability, make midi files that will emphasise the proper way of doing it. for example if they have problems with fingering then get a midi file that has them use 1 or both hands ascending and decending the keyboard, 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3 and 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3,4,1,2,3 finger patterns for acending and reverse for decending with the right hand for example. This is how i'm teaching myself the fingering and so far it seems to work for me.

This all depends on you're ability to explain things as well (for me I have a hard time teaching anyone things), but mostly as long as they have the midis they can just sit there and have synthesia teach them that way.