My journey learning to play piano

Discuss methods, books, lessons, and websites you use to learn.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
ducedo

Post by ducedo »

I bought a piano last year together with a book on learning how to play. Unfortunately, since all the songs were created by the author and it didn't include any CD, I had major problems knowing if I played correctly and thereby motivating myself to continue. I quickly gave up, found some MIDI files and tried to learn the popular song from Frozen; Do you want to build a snowman? I became fairly good at playing the song with my right hand but it was impossible to use both hands and I still can't play simple melodies such as the one in Scrubs.

So now when I got back from my vacation, I decided to give it a new go.

The major difference is that now I'm looking for a clear roadmap and follow it, step by step, so I progress with songs at my current level. My idea is to combine Synthesia with a well-known book such as Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course or Learn & Master Piano. Why one of those two? Because I found MIDI files for Learn & Master Piano here on the forum and a store (Keys to Imagination) that sell MIDI files for Alfred. By combining them, I'm hoping to get the clear roadmap and learn "everything" in the right order while getting feedback from Synthesia.

Inspired by Elena Nito on YouTube, I'm considering to record and share my progress. Hopefully it will inspire others.

The big question is - which book should I go for? I've seen some people do both at the same time but I'm not convinced that's a good idea.
stephenhazel

Post by stephenhazel »

you're looking for a clear roadmap to follow, eh?

well that assumes there's a single final destination. and there really isn't for most piano players.

playing piano is a whole bunch of different skills all done at the same time.
that's why over the years piano is typically learned from a teacher.
there's no one right way to play piano. there are different skill areas that you get into and try to excel at.
you don't need to be perfect in all the areas. But you should be familiar with them and know your strengths.

A teacher will help you find your niche and lead you through the forest of paths along YOUR journey.
Teachers cost money. But it's money well spent.
They keep you from getting lost in the woods and help you find the waterfalls and flowers right away.
They save you years and years of time so that's a good trade for the money you spend.
Also, they're friendly. You should have a very special relationship with your teacher.
If you don't, you've not yet found the right one.

good luck to ya!
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

I don't think trying to follow two books at the same time is a good idea either if you are trying to teach yourself. Without a teacher to see where your strength and weaknesses are, you just have to proceed according to what some author is guessing the average student needs. Every author will make different guesses. If you try to follow two paths you'll most likely wind up going over thing so you've already learned or attempting things you aren't prepared for. I know Alfred's is well regarded by a large number of piano instructors so I doubt you can go wrong by choosing that.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/