A genuine acoustic piano

Discuss methods, books, lessons, and websites you use to learn.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
VinceG

Post by VinceG »

Hello People.

I have an upright piano and would like to use Synthesia with it. Is there any way of connecting a microphone so that I can get it to "wait for me" like it will with electronic MIDI keyboards?

Kind Regards
VinceG
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Listening to polyphonic audio and (reliably, accurately) turning it into MIDI messages is a very, very hard problem. Doing that in real-time so it can be used interactively is even harder. I've found a trail of PhD theses that have started scratching the surface of the problem, but I don't know of any software today that is ready to work well across the whole range of a piano. (There are a few apps that do a nice job with guitar, but not piano.)

Synthesia's case allows for quite a few simplifying assumptions in the problem, so it was something I wanted to investigate some day. But that's a distant research project.

Today the answer is unfortunately that you are much better off with a digital connection to your instrument. Sorry!
VinceG

Post by VinceG »

Thanks, not to worry, it looks like I'm going to have to replace my instrument for a more modern electronic version. Better than tuning anyway ;-)
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

If you combine jam guitar and the bass version you can do this but you 'll need a good microphone and a good tuned piano and a quiet room.

Have just tried with a guitar for to play piano on my guitar the algoritm is really accurate.

But a midi keyboard would be certainly easier ...

http://www.jamorigin.com/products/
VinceG

Post by VinceG »

Thanks Kiwi, but at $99.00 USD it's more than my piano cost me ;-)

Regards
VinceG
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Yep but there's some demo you can try them :)