Synthesia 11 Roadmap

Try new versions before anyone else!
Always the latest dev version: [ win ] [ mac ]
Please report comments and bugs!

Your data hasn't disappeared: development previews store their data in a different place. Details here.

Postby Nicholas » 01-06-17 6:36 pm

sheet.png
sheet.png (8.79 KiB) Viewed 340 times

We're gettin' there. :lol:

For as silly as it looks, there is a lot happening that is actually correct. This is using the new music font and rendering to a single texture. I just can't help but share the ridiculous first-visible-results (like the initial buggy iPad results).
Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » 01-15-17 10:11 pm

Now we're cookin' with gas! :D

beams.png
beams.png (7.74 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Nicholas

Postby draco2023a » 01-16-17 2:53 am

Wow...to the untrained eye it would seem like you still have a ways to go, but I am guessing you are writing the engraving engine from scratch and that there is a lot of work.
draco2023a

Postby Nicholas » 01-16-17 3:09 am

It's not quite as bad as it looks, but you are correct: there is a lot of work to go!

Almost all of the weird stuff going on in these pictures is a result of transitioning the existing code from a completely ad hoc system of measurement (with units loosely based on the size of Synthesia's notation texture) and staffs that were always a fixed distance apart to a much more principled system of measurement (with units in "staff spaces", which are used by musical fonts, engraving experts, and all of the literature) and staffs that have a variable baseline. Now that the dust from that transition is starting to settle, it's just a matter of reconnecting all the bits, replacing the old, made-up magic numbers in the code with the recommended values from the font we're using and making sure everything looks the way it used to.

That will be the first Synthesia 11 dev preview. It's not an especially exciting one, but it'll be nice to get it in your hands because it's got a number of other fixes and improvements. I don't like to wait too long between previews.
Nicholas

Postby draco2023a » 01-17-17 7:54 pm

Cool. I can't wait to try it out....Thanks for all your hard work!
draco2023a

Postby Nicholas » 01-22-17 12:30 am

Hopefully to make things feel a little less dire, you can see that things are starting to get back to how they used to look. :D (Just a couple beams that go one pixel too far.)

almostBack.png
almostBack.png (8.62 KiB) Viewed 228 times

Although... "repairing" things until they look like the old, awful notation just makes me more eager to start fixing the real problems. After seeing hundreds of examples of "do this; not this" in Behind Bars, looking at Synthesia's current notation makes my brain itch.
Nicholas

Postby jimhenry » 01-22-17 6:05 pm

If you are able to do even a half-decent job of creating proper notation from MIDI files, you might want to consider spinning that part off as a separate application. Thinking about what it is going to take to do that makes my head hurt. :shock:
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.VirtualOrgan.com/
jimhenry

Postby Nicholas » 02-20-17 6:08 am

There. I probably agonized a little too long over having absolute pixel-accurate connection points between note heads, stems, and beams for any arbitrary font size... but now it looks nice.

I recently finished Thoreau's Civil Disobedience and one of my favorite quotes was "what is once well done is done forever". This feels like one of those things. Now that I've drilled this far into the minutiae, I won't have to again. :lol: (All of the new sheet code is plain C++ and 100% platform and graphics SDK/hardware independent. No matter which platforms we add/support/drop/whatever in the future, this will continue to work.)

beamsAndStems.png
beamsAndStems.png (14.78 KiB) Viewed 39 times

And with that, the sheet music is back where it used to be (only sharper and rendered using a very different set of technology). There are some loose ends to wrap up: doing the sheet rendering on a background thread, adding Standard note labels, and fixing the usual new crop of Android bugs. But I daresay we may actually be approaching the first real Synthesia 11 dev preview. :D
Nicholas

Postby sage789 » 02-20-17 10:20 am

Great news! Congrats! Looking forward to it!
sage789

Postby jimhenry » 02-20-17 1:07 pm

Looks beautiful! This is going to take Synthesia to the next level.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.VirtualOrgan.com/
jimhenry

Postby advalencia » 02-21-17 9:49 am

is looking gorgeous, I can't wait.
advalencia

Previous

Return to Development Updates