Tips for better preview experiences
Here be dragons: Development previews may crash! That's alright. To get more pairs of eyes on the code is the reason these are available. Just be sure to post what you were doing when the crash happened and you'll be helping to make Synthesia better. Thanks!
Development previews store their data in a different location than official versions! The first time you run a preview, it may look like all your data has been wiped out (including your unlock key). Never fear: everything is safe. Previews use a different location just in case there are bugs that could corrupt your real data. Storing things separately is a little less convenient, but much safer!
Here's the process to copy your "real" data over to the development preview location:
- Hold shift while starting Synthesia to open the configuration window. Click the "Open Data Folder" button.
- Close the configuration window!
- Navigate up one folder so you can see "Synthesia" (and "SynthesiaDev" assuming you've run a dev preview at least once).
- Delete any "SynthesiaDev" folder that is present.
- Copy and paste the "Synthesia" folder, then rename it to "SynthesiaDev".