Quiz Mode / Game Mode

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Choul

Post by Choul »

When looking at the Feature Voting page I see a Quiz Mode only for beginners. Is this Quiz Mode the same as 'game mode' where you're going to practice things - i.e. not only answering questions? If that 's the case, why only for beginners?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The "(for starters)" in the description there means that "chords, scales, intervals, tempos, and beat patterns" are just the beginning! :D

It's not just for beginners -- though hopefully there will be a nice difficulty ramp -- I just meant that I'd like to expand it even further than those categories when I get a chance.
Choul

Post by Choul »

That's good news!

But will it be something like answering questions as in a quiz or realtime exercises too with the falling blocks?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hopefully a little of both. I'm leaning toward real-time exercises with the blocks though. There is a lot of software out there that does quizzing. The thing Synthesia brings to the table is the falling note display (and to a lesser extent the agility/interactivity afforded by going hardware-accelerated graphics), so I need to capitalize on that strength as much as I can. It's what makes Synthesia different.
Choul

Post by Choul »

Nicholas wrote: I'm leaning toward real-time exercises with the blocks though.
That's the answer I wanted to hear. :D Thank you Nicholas!
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Choul wrote:realtime exercises too with the falling blocks?
To me any song can already be a "realtime exercise", especially when the jump to marker and loop score copying into clipboard are finished. In the TRAINING MODE you could then design any type of "realtime exercise" you want by choosing which files to use, by defining which sections in them how often to train, by defining the speeds and setting the "threshold to get the right to continue with the next step in training". I can only imagine an exercise could have additional text and images maybe, later maybe even video snippets, but apart from that I can not imagine what should be so special in those "realtime exercises".
Choul

Post by Choul »

TonE wrote:
Choul wrote:realtime exercises too with the falling blocks?
To me any song can already be a "realtime exercise", especially when the jump to marker and loop score copying into clipboard are finished. In the TRAINING MODE you could then design any type of "realtime exercise" you want by choosing which files to use, by defining which sections in them how often to train, by defining the speeds and setting the "threshold to get the right to continue with the next step in training". I can only imagine an exercise could have additional text and images maybe, later maybe even video snippets, but apart from that I can not imagine what should be so special in those "realtime exercises".
If I understand you well enough, then I can't compare what you 're saying with what I asked Nicholas. What I wanted to know if there will be only a quiz-like part, what you see in lots of other programs or that Nicholas is going to program some sort of gaming part for it too. You 're talking about 'files to use' and I have something completely different in mind when I'm thinking about a gaming part. You don't need midi files for that, but you will need a chord library. I'm not thinking about additional text or images, but rather less text or images. ;)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

EDIT: Choul and I posted at the same time... this was in response to TonE.

For the most part, I agree. And human-created content will often be higher quality.

But, the type of thing I was looking for here was auto-generated stuff. A person might be able to crank out 20 exercises in a nice progression. If I make a generative algorithm, Synthesia could provide an "unlimited" number of exercises that you could play through for however long you wanted.

Especially something highly template-based like arpeggio practice or something like that, going with an algorithm creating the exercises (vs. a general purpose Training Mode facility) you can make 1 template and then have the algorithm fill in the hundreds of variations of each scale, pattern, arpeggio size, etc.

I certainly think there is a place for both features, but I think they're different things.
Choul

Post by Choul »

I was indeed thinking of what you're saying Nicholas and I'm glad we did understood each other, but there is a second feature I'm thinking about, but I'm not sure if it's possible:

I'm thinking of the following:
For chords with their inversions you can use a certain symbol, lets say you use C/E. That means play the C Chord (triad or other variant) in his second inversion. Is it possible that you drop down 1 block with for example the text C/E (the block falls on E) and that the user needs to know from memory that he/she needs to play the notes E G C ? Lots of variants and difficulties are possible here. But I don't know if it's possible?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, when the time comes that's exactly the type of "template" exercise I meant. They can be reasonably intricate like that one without much trouble. I just like the idea of something like that using the falling note display.

There will be discussion about it too. I'll solicit feedback and gather as many of those ideas as I can from you guys. Then, we'll go through them and see which we like best and which are the most helpful, and that's what I'll add in the first pass.
Choul

Post by Choul »

Nicholas wrote:Yeah, when the time comes that's exactly the type of "template" exercise I meant. They can be reasonably intricate like that one without much trouble. I just like the idea of something like that using the falling note display.

There will be discussion about it too. I'll solicit feedback and gather as many of those ideas as I can from you guys. Then, we'll go through them and see which we like best and which are the most helpful, and that's what I'll add in the first pass.
Awesome, I can hardly wait... I hope a lot of ideas will pop up from everyone here. :)