Synthesia 0.7.5

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Here is a snapshot from my item tracker with some upcoming stuff. I've filtered out a few boring, programmer'y, or management-type things and a few items related to stuff on the website.

If you look carefully, you may even notice an item I've censored for now. ;) (To be fair though, it's been on the list for the last couple releases too... I have just had to push it back each time. So it may remain a mystery a little longer.)
upcoming075.png
upcoming075.png (27.69 KiB) Viewed 17461 times
Anyway, lots of random prep for the big upcoming October stuff. The notable things on that list are scoreboard infrastructure and track settings revamp... well, and learning Cocoa so I can make the OS X version of the config tool. :lol:

Everything else is trying to get the scoring model in better order for the scoreboard. Or known bugs. The paged datagrid will solve the huge-library problem, but is also pretty necessary for downloaded scoreboard pages. Those will be paged natively so the game doesn't have to download a few thousand entries if you're just interested in the first 20 or so.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Nicholas wrote:I've filtered out a few boring, programmer'y
Ahhh I like boring programmer'y things :P

Nice to see the pedal events in the list.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Nicholas wrote:If you look carefully, you may even notice an item I've censored for now. ;) (To be fair though, it's been on the list for the last couple releases too... I have just had to push it back each time. So it may remain a mystery a little longer.)
I'm almost sure I can read there "Manual Note Fingerings" :lol:
And speaking about fingerings I have a new video about that "A must see video"
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

aria1121 wrote:Whats that thing after "Send pedal...channels" ?
It's just fixing a bug. Sometimes holding the pedal doesn't sound correct when you have more than one You Play track.
vicentefer31 wrote:I'm almost sure I can read there "Manual Note Fingerings" :lol:
vicentefer31 wrote:... I have a new video
Well jeez, if you're going to just make it yourself, why do you need Synthesia to have manual note fingerings? ;)
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

And don't forget it has also Exercises (Hanon, Scales,...), Keyboard Navigation and Statistics. ;)

Edit:
Maybe I should add Bookmarks and Loops? :lol:
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
swalker133

Post by swalker133 »

what would you say is going to be the most exciting feature to come out in synthesia 0.7.5?
Learning, creating, recording, and performing music on the iPhone and iPad...
http://www.iosmusician.com/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

swalker133 wrote:what would you say is going to be the most exciting feature to come out in synthesia 0.7.5?
We're in kind of a transition period right now. Between 0.7.4 and 0.8.0 (that comes after 0.7.5!) things are going to be very different. 0.7.5 is some stepping-stone stuff toward that.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Just knocked out most of the bugs. A few of them were pretty exciting. The "Notes never end" thing is another one of those that has been there for more than 2 years. Those are always very cool to finally fix.

There is also another surprise (not even the blurred-out thing) coming in the next preview that a handful of you have asked for in the past. :D
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Nicholas wrote:
swalker133 wrote:what would you say is going to be the most exciting feature to come out in synthesia 0.7.5?
We're in kind of a transition period right now. Between 0.7.4 and 0.8.0 (that comes after 0.7.5!) things are going to be very different. 0.7.5 is some stepping-stone stuff toward that.
A sort of milestone? I think (also) if the Fingerings are done, you can set a new 'milestone'!
phiktion

Post by phiktion »

I was thinking Nicholas maybe in the future include a free mode/sound mode if you just want to use the sounds from synthesia to play on using a midi controller. The way my Axiom 61 Keyboard works in Reason if I load a sound module I can use my up and down key out of the program to swap sounds, even if you had to select the sounds it would be good for people that dont have an external program to play some sounds, I noticed there is alot of good sounds in Synthesia, think it would be good to be able to go through all the sounds when your not practicing a song.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

phiktion wrote:I was thinking Nicholas maybe in the future include a free mode/sound mode...
The upcoming chord library feature will accomplish this. It'll just be a free-play area with some informational stuff on the screen and maybe a visualization. You'll be able to pick whatever instrument you want to play.
cairnz

Post by cairnz »

How will you know if it's an Am6 or F#m7b5 (first inversion) that's being played? Show all possible keys that can have this key combination?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

cairnz wrote:Show all possible keys that can have this key combination?
Yep.

Even just pressing one key (say, Middle C), you'll get a list of the most-likely things you're trying to play. It'll show you a list of probable chords, ordered by likelihood.

We'll see if I can get this in there, but in the partial-match cases, I'm hoping to have it show you the rest of the keys (a little diagram off to the side of each possibility?) to finish the chord.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

A few personal-life things have come up in the last week or so. It's going to take until at least the end of the weekend for the release. I'll keep you guys updated (and presumably will have previews going out and all that...)
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Nicholas wrote:If you look carefully, you may even notice an item I've censored for now. ;) (To be fair though, it's been on the list for the last couple releases too... I have just had to push it back each time. So it may remain a mystery a little longer.)
What about this? Are you going to add the mystery feature in 0.7.5?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Once again, it has been pushed back. I'm hoping for October. ;) Of course... I've been hoping for years.

The last two items on my list are:
- Paged DataGrid
- Track Settings Screen Revamp

And I'm nearly finished with the first one.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Paged DataGrid is complete.
pagedLibrary.png
pagedLibrary.png (39.2 KiB) Viewed 16872 times
Having the song library use it is really just a proof of concept. An added bonus is that now Synthesia should be able to handle much larger libraries. I've only got 650 songs, so I'll have to hear from others. At the very least I am certain the memory usage will now be under control.

The real reason to have it is the online scoreboard. Once a song gets a few thousand scores, this new control can handle grabbing the data in little chunks instead of requiring everything be on-hand all at once. That means shorter load times for you and less bandwidth for me. ;)
tommai78101

Post by tommai78101 »

Now, it looks like the Song Library is looking quite nicer than it was.
Hardware Information: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz / 2.21 GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 2070 / Nvidia GTX 1060 dual-GPU, Roland FP-10, MIDI-OX + LoopMIDI combo.