Credit Cards

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

EDIT: See below. Personal keys are $2 for this test!

EDIT 2: Thanks everyone! It looks like it's working fine.

Alright, I spent the last couple days trying to cobble together direct credit card processing for Learning Pack keys...

If any brave souls that don't have a key yet (or want to buy another one for whatever reason :D ) would like to help me test it out, you can reveal the new payment method with a secret link, here.

Let me know if it works for you... it seems to work for me. ;)

Obviously anything that has to do with real money gets my absolute top-priority support. If anything goes wrong, I'll swoop in and take care of you as best I can. Also, if you have any comments about the details entry page, I'd like to hear it. It's pretty standard, but I tried to keep things as simple as I could.

After I hear one or two success stories, I'll open it up to everyone.
cairnz

Post by cairnz »

It would be more intriguing to test if you set the values to $1 and $2 for us that would test out the additional purchases... :lol:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I was trying to figure out how to do something like that. I check a few times during the process that the price hasn't been changed out from under me through form manipulation or something.

I think I got it though...

Alright, using the secret link, if you choose the credit card option, you can buy a personal key for $2. This is a real key. Thanks for testing. ;)
EDIT: Thanks! Testing is over.

The first page will show the usual $25. Once you get to the credit card details screen, it should show $2 at the bottom.

Please describe your successful or unsuccessful purchases, here.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Wait a sec... So.. you mean that... you can... :o get the Learning Pack for 2 USD if you pay with credit card? :shock: epic...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Only until I see another one or two tests complete successfully. That's a discount for trying something out that may not work at all... and like accidentally charge your card $100 or something. ;)

Looks like one went through alright so far (only $2, not $100. :D )
PharaohsVizier

Post by PharaohsVizier »

What a great price, too bad I already bought it when I needed it at $25. :P That being said, I bought another key just for the hell of it, hope you're making good use of the money. :P

Oh right, just to confirm, this worked fine with a Visa card. I think one issue, for me, is that the list of states/provinces is gigantic. I don't know if you are listing all the states and provinces in the world or something, but it certainly wasn't just America and Canada. I usually see the country toggle first and after you select the country, you get a toggle for the provinces/states of that particular country. I was using Google Chrome for this test, and am Canadian.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks for testing!

Hmm, the state/province list should just be US and Canada (along with a couple weird "Armed Forces" and handful of odd-ball "outlying islands" entries for the US). I just double-checked and there isn't anything there I don't recognize. It's the country list that is gigantic.

Regarding the dynamic pop-up of the state/province field, the understanding I got from my merchant account processor is that they'll just ignore the state field if it doesn't make sense for the country. So, I decided not to worry about it. I'd love to see some non-US/Canada tests though.
maccer

Post by maccer »

Nicholas wrote:Thanks for testing!

Hmm, the state/province list should just be US and Canada (along with a couple weird "Armed Forces" and handful of odd-ball "outlying islands" entries for the US). I just double-checked and there isn't anything there I don't recognize. It's the country list that is gigantic.

Regarding the dynamic pop-up of the state/province field, the understanding I got from my merchant account processor is that they'll just ignore the state field if it doesn't make sense for the country. So, I decided not to worry about it. I'd love to see some non-US/Canada tests though.
I tried it out - now I've paid you the $2 that I saved when I bought my original license for $12 instead of $14 :-)
I too think that the state dropdown is a bit disturbing if you live in a country that doesn't have states, like Sweden. The user has no way of knowing what happens with that state information. It should at least have a "none" or blank option. But is that a interface that's coming from your payment provider or can you change it if you need to?
Songs learned using Synthesia:
CT: Wind Scene, The Trial | FF7: Prelude | SMB: Overworld, Underwater | Tetris: Theme A | Zelda: Lost Woods | Other: Für Elise
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks! So, it worked (even with "Alabama" or whatever in the box) when you picked Sweden? That's great to hear.

Regarding the form, I can change it. There are very specific things the payment processor stuff needs, but how I assemble the data is up to me. I like the idea of making the default State/Province choice blank, and only making the little "Required!" text pop up if you've picked the US or Canada.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Alright, it looks like the two of you (and another five in the last hour or so that are apparently too good to post about their experience ;) ) were able to get keys successfully.

I'm satisfied. Thanks for the help!

I just took down the $2 thing, and I'll reveal it officially after I make the change to the state/province box.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

There, it's up now. The default for the state box is "(for US and Canada)", so hopefully it will make people in other countries rest a little easy that they didn't fill it out or that it contains some not-correct value like Alabama. I also pulled Canada up on the country list, too, and proper-cased it.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Hmmm... This does make me think about a sort of "Credits Screen"... Getting some idea's?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

There aren't really that many credits to show. The readme has the full list near the top. The short answer is that a lot of you forum people are awesome.