Scores in waiting mode

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Hi, sorry if this question has been posted before but I couldn't find it. I'm wondering if the score system works the same way in waiting mode of the learning pack as in normal mode whether in the free version or the learning pack, when the song continues even if you miss notes or play wrong ones.
  1. Do I get less scores if I wait for ten seconds instead of one, that is if it takes me ten seconds to find the right note? Because it's hard to miss notes if they wait for you.
    Or is the scoring disabled in waiting mode?
By the way is it possible to make numbered lists? I wanted to format the questions that way, but couldn't figure it out.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Numbered lists are the same as regular lists with an added "=1" in the tag. So, it looks like [ list=1]...[/list]. Just get rid of the extra space at the beginning to make it work.

Otherwise, the scores work the same regardless of whether the Learning Pack has been unlocked or not.

Exhaustive descriptions of both rhythm and practice mode's scoring can be found here. The short answer is that yes, if you take more time you'll end up with a lower score in practice mode.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

1. One
  2. Two
Thank you for you reply, Nicholas. Regarding the lists, I now see that it works when I put the star [ *] in front of the item text. I checked the link and understand the score system better now. I've been using Synthesia for a few months for my practice, but only yesterday I got my MIDI/USB cable and have been playing a few times with the score system.

The only problem is I find that I keep competing with the score, which makes me forget to concentrate on the song, that is to say feel the rhytm and try to stay within it. Also my feeling is that to make a perfect score in hitting a note (a combo as it's called) you have to press the note a certain time interval before the bar hits the key. So since the game is a work in progress, I'd like to suggest the player would have an option to disable the score system.

Nevertheless a great program and a brilliant idea to make a graphical interface of a keyboard with falling notes in a grid to teach people to play. I might get the learning pack because of the practice (waiting) mode.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Definitely try it out with the demo songs before you buy. That way you can make sure it'll be right for you.

As for disabling the score, the "Exhibition Mode" item on the voting list is probably what you're looking for. Not only won't there be a score at all, but Synthesia will attempt to mimic your changes in tempo, so you'll be able to play as expressively as you like and all the background tracks will keep-up (or slow down, if that's the case).
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Thanks again, as there were not many votes for Exhib. mode I voted for it. As long as it doesn't reach the top of the list I'll just tell myself I'm not as bad as the scores say (just kidding, I sometimes get good scores, at least in my opinion. :) ) I've tried the demo songs in practice/wait mode with the keyboard connected and it works great.

Still one more question, is the lighted keyboard feature only in the full learning pack with an unlock key or also in the trial version with the demo songs? Just asking, because I was wondering if there was something wrong with my keyboard (I have an EZ200.)

Not sure though if I'd use this option much, as a lighted key doesn't say anything about the note length which Synthesia does, but it's a big bonus to have it.

Thanks, best regards.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The reason it has so few votes is because it's a relatively new addition to the list. I keep talking about it so hopefully it will gain some momentum. At least I think it sounds pretty cool. ;)

The lighted key stuff is always enabled. It's just the most useful in practice mode. Especially in songs that have 3+ note chords. If you're sight-reading for the first time, the instant gratification you can get from looking down and seeing exactly where to put your fingers without needing to map the tiny on-screen keys to the real-life keys is really powerful.

It should typically "just work" after telling Synthesia you have a lighted keyboard. Did you set it up on the Keyboard Setup screen? It's one menu deeper after you pick your input device. The "Change keyboard size and settings..." button. From there you should be able to pick the channel 1 option that the EZ-200 uses.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

I just had to insert the latest version to get the Change keyboard setting feature to appear. The lighting worked perfectly with the demo songs. After that it was no question I'd get the learning pack, so I did. The lighting feature makes it almost idiot-proof, just what I need. :lol:

I tried it with a MIDI-file of Kinks-Lola. Played it automatically first and the keyboard lit like a Christmas tree. :D It's a complicated song with three or four guitars, plus other instruments, so I have to work on the MIDI-file to simplify it. I had a version of it where I had merged all the tracks but it was too much to play with only two hands! But now I'm looking forward to trying some more of my MIDI-files.

Yes and I tried the game with a P85 which I also have, because there is another thread where someone couldn't get such a piano to work with Synthesia. Mine worked just perfectly it seemed, when I played a bit of Händels Menuet Trio. Luckily I have two MIDI cables so I can use MIDI IN as well for my keyboards and have more voices than the ten internal ones of the P85. Another big bonus, besides the possibillity to use the lighting feature of my EZ200 with the program.

So there are happy days ahead. :)
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Regarding having extra voices in P85 piano, I'm not so sure it's possible after looking better into the subject. It seems as if the piano just matches what is sent to instrument with some of the built-in voices.

But I'd be happy if anyone could inform me (us) if Synthesia has the option to make keyboards or digital pianos play in voices that are not built into the instrument, but come from the software sending input through MIDI-IN.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Depending on the keyboard (usually "synths"; usually not "digital pianos"), there are ways to send instrument samples right to the device (using SysEx messages). Synthesia doesn't support anything like that directly, though I'd imagine you could upload the instruments ahead of time and then start Synthesia after they're there.

I don't actually have any experience doing anything like that, so I can't really speak to it more than that. I'm pretty sure the P-85 (I have the P-70 predecessor) can't do anything like that. It's intentionally limited in instruments to emphasize the quality of each and the action of the keys.