0.7.5 Preview r1100, r1110 (Release Candidate 1)

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I can here and see them. (in that little bubble box)
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

I like the tooltips 'till now, but can you place an option we can remove them?
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

aria1121 wrote:I like the tooltips 'till now, but can you place an option we can remove them?
:lol:
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It's probably not gonna happen. ;)

Though, maybe all the "Click to..." beginnings can be trimmed off. That's a little pedantic.
cairnz

Post by cairnz »

I'll add the library for kicks and see what happens.

I'm eagerly awaiting sqlite3 database!
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

vicentefer31 wrote:
aria1121 wrote:I like the tooltips 'till now, but can you place an option we can remove them?
gwales

Post by gwales »

Hey Nicholas, thanks for this program. As a poor reader I am loving the piano roll approach. I have a few thoughts about this program - I am sure many have been mentioned before. I can imagine this game being integrated into GarageBand very nicely. Maybe Apple will offer to buy your app (for a handsome amount).

Developing an app takes a lot of time. Do you have people to support you? It also requires a range of skill sets. I mention this last because I think the layout needs improvement in a few areas. Navigating the various menus is inconsistent with buttons in different places and even 'going back'. It's really a kind of Wizard, where each stage involves interacting with a series of menus to get the desired result. No doubt there are lots of features you will add in time, but advanced features and changes to the way users interact will take you ages. I would like more control over the MIDI files because some are poorly written - how about building in some kind of editor?

Speaking of games - I used to use a 'Miracle' keyboard with a learning game. Do you know it? There were some useful and fun games and exercises there. This sort of thing could open your market to the younger learners, and the 'kid' inside us old farts too.

I look forward to the awesome features that will no doubt gradually be added to this already awesome program.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

gwales wrote:I think the layout needs improvement in a few areas.
I would agree. ;) What you're watching is a slow transition that has been going on for the last year.
gwales wrote:how about building in some kind of editor?
Why not use one of the free editors that already exist and do a better job than I would be able to with tacked-on editor support?
gwales wrote:I used to use a 'Miracle' keyboard with a learning game. Do you know it?
I've heard a number of people express nostalgia about it. Sadly I didn't even know it existed back then. I wish I had. It seems like something I really would have gotten into.
abstracte

Post by abstracte »

For the track selector, I always envisioned a type of track sequencer style layout, something like the Reason sequencer (except __a lot__ simpler!)

This suggests a lot of work, but it would make track selection very visual and a breeze!

Don't hate me now! We really like the program already!
Attachments
The Reason 4 UI adapted for SYNTHESIA!!
The Reason 4 UI adapted for SYNTHESIA!!
sequencer-1.png (346.8 KiB) Viewed 8844 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The broken-up you/Synthesia, played/muted, shown/hidden options are still upcoming. It was faster to do it this way in the meantime and I was already a week late for that release.

That would cover the M button. Though we have talked about the S (solo) button before as a quick way to swap between the tracks you're playing.

Believe it or not, something similar to the tiny view of the piano roll (only traveling vertically) is in the original 2006 sketch for [Keyboard Hero / Piano Hero / Synthesia] where you were going to be able to choose which section you wanted to play ahead of time. Now we can sort of do that with looping so it doesn't feel like as strong of a need anymore.