Online scores in the in-game song browser

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
maccer

Post by maccer »

Would it be possible to show your placement, your score, the date and a +- X % from first place (or % to second place if you're first) from the online scores in the song browser inside the game? I.e if the online score list for song A and B looks like this:

-- Song A --
#1 Maccer 11000 2010-11-01
#2 Nicholas 10000 2010-11-15

-- Song B --
#1 Typhlosion 10000
#2 Nicholas 9000
#3 The Great Catdog 8500
#4 Maccer 8000 2010-11-01

the Song browser for Maccer would look like this:
Song A - #1 11000 (+10%) 2010-11-01 (+ 10% since my score is 10% better than the one at place #2)
Song B - #4 8000 (-20%) 2010-11-01 (- 20% since my score is 80% of the #1 score)

This way I could easily see where that #%&€/& Typhlosion has beaten my scores (like, for every song...) :D and, for songs where I'm #1, if someone is close to beating my score. The scores could even be color-coded so that #1 = gold, #2 = silver, #3 = bronze, #4-10 some color, #10-100 some other color and > #100 is just some ordinary color.

I guess this would need to be a background process that took place after the list has loaded. The priority would be to update the currently selected song, then the current page and lastly the whole list.
Songs learned using Synthesia:
CT: Wind Scene, The Trial | FF7: Prelude | SMB: Overworld, Underwater | Tetris: Theme A | Zelda: Lost Woods | Other: Für Elise
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

maccer wrote:This way I could easily see where that #%&€/& Typhlosion has beaten my scores (like, for every song...) :D
You're not kidding. I think he might be a robot. ;)

Having greater integration of all the new statistics stuff in the game client is one of my goals. I don't think anyone wants to alt-tab out of the game and refresh a web page to see how they're doing.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Nicholas wrote: I don't think anyone wants to alt-tab out of the game and refresh a web page to see how they're doing.
I have dual screens, So I just have the scores open on my second screen. And I like to follow along where I am. :lol:
DamienBlack

Post by DamienBlack »

Nicholas wrote:You're not kidding. I think he might be a robot. ;)
Eh, he isn't that tough :) And a thumbs up on my part for more in game statistics, especially the "combination scores".
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Yeah, maybe messages that you are number 1 place is beaten, and things like that.

Or a table with who has been the most days on the number 1 place ? Something like that ?

Edit: Or maybe a message that someone named DamienBlack has beaten ALL your highscores! :shock:
English was my worst subject on school, so my language could be a bit awkward sometimes...
DamienBlack

Post by DamienBlack »

Kasper wrote:Or maybe a message that someone named DamienBlack has beaten ALL your highscores! :shock:
I didn't beat all of them... just most of them. Still working on a few 8-)
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Did you hack it?
"And now for something completely different."
DamienBlack

Post by DamienBlack »

DC64 wrote:Did you hack it?
Me? No, I got those scores legit. I have a pretty good sense of rhythm and a wicked competitive streak that won't let me quit (you should see my excel docs I used to figure out which songs to work on for maximum gain, you'd think I'm crazy). I can't play that well yet though, so I can only do the easy pieces. I don't think the scores are that high, they can be beaten, even the "first pieces" ones, which is where I've really put in effort can be beaten. I only get perfects about a third of the time on my best scores. Usually I just memorize the song and then watch to see what I'm getting and try to aim for those perfects. Some songs it helps to hold the note out as long as you can to ilk out every last point (but don't hold it too long).

I'm sure in the future we'll laugh about the time we thought my scores are good, you know, back before the really crazy insane good people showed up.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

DamienBlack wrote:I didn't beat all of them... just most of them. Still working on a few 8-)
This is exactly the type of competition I was hoping for. Excellent. Carry on. :D
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I think I have like 80% are great/perfect.

I only have those annoying 'goods', which I can get out, because my hands sometimes just don't do what I want.
My pink and thumb always mess it up.

I'm afraid I have to train a little bit...
Do you only great perfects DamienBlack in the first pieces ?
English was my worst subject on school, so my language could be a bit awkward sometimes...
DamienBlack

Post by DamienBlack »

I'm not really sure what my numbers are exactly. I know that I don't get perfect very often, less than half the time, even on the "first pieces". And I know I get a few 'barely', especially on the longer or faster pieces. I don't have any trouble with my thumbs, in fact, I think of them as my most capable finger. I do have troubles with the pinky. Especially when it has to stretch.

That brings me to another feature request, (maybe I should open another thread). It would be really nice to see how many "perfects", "great", "good", "miss" and so on we got at the end of a song. If I remember right, most versions of DDR do this, and it is pretty useful. Maybe you could be extra snazzy and divide it up by hand, or even by length of the notes or something. But staying simple, it would be nice to better pinpoint where our points are coming from with just the number of each.

Am I just describing what "Performance Analysis" is in the voting section. That seems like it would cover what I want, even more thoroughly. I guess if that is coming soon I can wait.
Xukur

Post by Xukur »

Simple errors counter in online scoreboard would be enough for me. I can look at my errors in Rhyme mode, but i want to know other players' results.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

DamienBlack wrote:Am I just describing what "Performance Analysis" is in the voting section. That seems like it would cover what I want, even more thoroughly. I guess if that is coming soon I can wait.
Yeah, sort of. The histogram I mention there would be a graphical version of exactly those kinds of statistics that DDR shows. And yeah, that's actually coming pretty soon.
Xukur wrote:Simple errors counter in online scoreboard would be enough for me. ... i want to know other players' results.
I want to take adding lots of statistics to the scoreboard a little slow. We're still in the early stages and I want to get a feel for what these types of things mean for database size and bandwidth. So far we're looking good, but I want to proceed with caution.