Tempo Changes in Recital Mode?

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
DamienBlack

Post by DamienBlack »

Now either I'm going crazy (and I've done enough songs that I might be) or every time I start a song in online recital mode the tempo is just a hair different. Sometimes it seems really fast, and other times very slow. I'd say it changes about 5% from one extreme to the other. Is this my imagination, an added challenge or a security measure to foil some type of cheater?

I guess it isn't a problem, but I'd just like to know whether it is really there or not. I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out if I'm imagining it or if it is really there.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Haha, I've completely the same experience.
I'm driving myself crazy as well !

Maybe it is to make it a little bit more difficult ?
English was my worst subject on school, so my language could be a bit awkward sometimes...
maccer

Post by maccer »

It's there. I think Nicholas said that the speed is randomized to prevent some cheating robots that use a fixed tempo. But I think the speed varies a bit too much. Also, will the score vary or is it always calculated as if the song is played at 100% speed?
Songs learned using Synthesia:
CT: Wind Scene, The Trial | FF7: Prelude | SMB: Overworld, Underwater | Tetris: Theme A | Zelda: Lost Woods | Other: Für Elise
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I'm quite sure the scores don't vary.
English was my worst subject on school, so my language could be a bit awkward sometimes...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The scores don't vary.

The speed variation is plus or minus 4%. I might tone it down to something like 2 or 3% if you guys are noticing it that bad.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

It's noticable but I think it's right this way.
Xukur

Post by Xukur »

My vote goes for it's right as it is.
DamienBlack

Post by DamienBlack »

I think for the most part it is right, but every now and then I get one at the far extreme and it seems really off. I'll get one so slow it just seems downright unfair, or so fast that there is no way I can play it. I notice this most with particularly with fast songs. I guess because it is a percentage? I think 3% should probably cut those extremes out.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I just pulled the variation back 1% on either side. That will show up in the next preview.