Does anyone know how to create a MIDI?

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
xplizitazn08

Post by xplizitazn08 »

I was wondering if anyone knew of a program or a way where I could make a MIDI file for Synthesia. Say if I knew all the notes to a song, how could I input those notes into a program and it would create a MIDI file that is successfully compatible with Synthesia? Such as having the left hand and right hand part separated like Synthesia has it when it's color coded (blue and green).

I find alot of MIDI's online but most are only partial songs, aren't of any mainstream songs, or are not in piano audio where you can learn it successfully in Synthesia. Please help. I would like to make my own music to play on Synthesia so I could learn it the Synthesia way.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Ha! Just saw this after answering your email. Here is the same response (now with links!), in case it helps anyone else:

You're right: the quality of the MIDI you can find around the Internet is pretty uneven. There is a good thread here where users have collected a decent list of sites with better-than-average quality files.

Still, if you wanted to try and make your own, I know there is a free MIDI editor out there called Anvil Studio. A few people in the forums swear by it. I've never used it so I can't recommend it one way or the other. One of the premiere (and really expensive) music composition programs out there is called Finale. Luckily though, they make a smaller, simpler, for-home-use version of the same thing called Finale Notepad. It's only $10 the last time I checked.

At least the 2nd one that I listed there requires knowledge of sheet music. That may or may not be a deal-breaker.

A third (sort of brute-force) alternative is another free program called Lilypond. It's main purpose is to produce sheet music (for printing or PDF), but as a side-effect it can also create MIDI files. Still, because of the sheet music slant and the *huge* learning curve (it has its own scripting language you have to use for laying out the notes), I'm not sure I'd recommend it except as a last resort.
Rickeeey

Post by Rickeeey »

I've been using Anvil Studio for a little while now and it's a perfect free solution that only requires that you know how to read sheet music but it's also a nice way to learn reading sheet music (if you make alot midis).
Choul

Post by Choul »

:D And I use 'the last resort' , well how Nicholas calls it. It's a great piece of free software, but one thing is true, it takes a lot of time to learn to use it. But at the end you will get a nice looking pdf file and a midi file. But the main purpose of this piece of software is not the generated midi, but the produced sheet music with it. I prefer lilypond because I get both in one run and I can put my comments in the source file of lilypond and because I can make a lot of adjustments for the sheet music (pdf or ps file) like fingerings or comments and so on.
Samfre1976

Post by Samfre1976 »

Goto you tube and in the search box type Mixcraft 5
You get a trial period and see if it's something you can work with.
They have other instructional vedio on how to use the program.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

I like to use Musescore and Notation Composer for making MIDI's.
As long it's free the software should be easy to get.
"And now for something completely different."
edwintheguru

Post by edwintheguru »

the simple way to make midi file, just write the note on sibelius (Music score softwear ), and than save as midi,dont forget to saperate the right and left hand