Crash

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
geokyuubi

Post by geokyuubi »

I have a pc and whenever i startup Synthesia and start a song it would crash. Help Please? :(
geokyuubi

Post by geokyuubi »

oh and i have vesion 8
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

What is your Windows version (like Windows XP/Vista/7 or older) and do you have a keyboard plugged in? Did you try to play a song when opening it?
geokyuubi

Post by geokyuubi »

i have a windows xp and i do not have a keyboard connected to my computer
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Any song in particular or all midi's?
"And now for something completely different."
geokyuubi

Post by geokyuubi »

most of the songs dont work
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

I actually can't find a solve for this. We need more info.
So you said that Synthesia crashes when you open it, then you said that most MIDI's don't work. Can you please specify your steps you do?
geokyuubi

Post by geokyuubi »

First i go into the game. then play, then clicked on a song, then then play with setting, then play then it crashes
DC64

Post by DC64 »

When did this start happening?
"And now for something completely different."
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Does it crash if you go to Keyboard Setup then click Test?
geokyuubi

Post by geokyuubi »

no
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

When a crash happens, is there an error report file generated and placed on your desktop?

If not, what does the error message say?
geokyuubi

Post by geokyuubi »

one of those microsoft we had to shut down this program we are sorry for the inconvienience
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, usually the generic one is suppressed: either there is no error at all (it closes suddenly) with a crash dump file on the desktop, or you get a custom one with a useful error message along with a note to send it along to me.

The only times I've seen generic ones are before things even start up if you're missing some required DirectX component or something.

Maybe the log will have something interesting... or at least show the last thing that was happening before the crash. If you open a "Run..." dialog (Window key + R) and type "shell:appdata\Synthesia", if you could send the log.txt file to support@synthesiagame.com that would be helpful.
Choul

Post by Choul »

I had the same microsoft message with Windows Vista on my laptop (not connected to a midi-instrument). Nothing in the log file at all saying anything what went wrong. Synthesia was shut down as soon as I tried to just let play a midi file. It didn't came further than the track screen and crashed. But as far as I can remember it was only with midi-files that I played before with a different version of Synthesia. I just removed all .xml configfiles and since that time the problem was solved. So maybe you can try that.
dsp4

Post by dsp4 »

I had the same issue. When starting MIDIs I played in a previous version of Synthesia (I didn't update in a long time), the game would crash right before displaying the keyboard screen.

Instead of displaying the keyboard screen, everything goes black and there's the generic Windows error reporting dialog box.

I deleted the XML files in appdata\Synthesia and everything went back to normal.

Thanks!!
geokyuubi

Post by geokyuubi »

thank you choul i did what u did and now its fixed :)
Shigor

Post by Shigor »

Same issue here, after upgrading from 0.7 to 0.8 some songs started to crash right after starting the game, settings on some wildly changed, scoring for songs now seems to be shared... It seems now that everything is working once again after I've deleted xml files.