HowTo: Using TiMidity++ to improve your Windows MIDI output

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

I actually dunno, but probably lots of bug fixes.

Anyway, Timidity sometimes disappears when you change a song. Then you are like OMG WAHT HAPPEND TO THE INSTRUMENTZ? but to prevent this just keep the Timidity window opened while Synthesia is running (also twsyng)
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Does anyone know a software-synthesizer like Timidity for Mac? I would appreciate that :)
DC64

Post by DC64 »

You got Windows and Mac?!
How does that work out?
"And now for something completely different."
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

That's actually a not-so-long-story which I won't post online ;)
I don't own any keyboard (yet) but I test (and play with software keyboard lol) it on both because Mac has better graphics. Even 256MB VRAM on Mac is like 1GB on PC!
DC64

Post by DC64 »

They both have got there ups and downs.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Regarding Mac synths, the built-in Quicktime synth is much better than the built-in Windows synth. There is almost no latency and the instruments are definitely passable without using some external VST or whatever else.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Saying that, it fells like Windows synth is crappy compared to mac on sound.
I dont know how synth sounds are different to others with midi systems.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Hard question:
If I use Timidity++ with FluidR3GM as SF2 with Synthesia, or any other program, will the SF2 or any other kind of preset/sound be buffered to reduce latency?
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

aria1121 wrote:That's actually a not-so-long-story which I won't post online ;)
I don't own any keyboard (yet) but I test (and play with software keyboard lol) it on both because Mac has better graphics. Even 256MB VRAM on Mac is like 1GB on PC!
i really suggest you to find a midi controller because i know u are in music/pc stuff and with a keyboard they are plenty of things to do with synthesia or other softwares;).
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

aria1121 wrote:Hard question:
If I use Timidity++ with FluidR3GM as SF2 with Synthesia, or any other program, will the SF2 or any other kind of preset/sound be buffered to reduce latency?
The buffer is set with you're audio driver so....
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Yeah since I don't have a piano anymore, I'm gonn' get an electrical one. Most likely it's goin' to be a Roland HP-302. It has MIDI ports, so I will connect thru USB and hope it'll be compatible (enough) to play with Synthesia.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

aria1121 wrote:That's actually a not-so-long-story which I won't post online ;)
Uh You mean the synthesia's graphics are better on mac?
For the roland keyboard i thinks its compatible but ask the question in hardware in case....I would prefer an axiome less expensive.

So i don't know a driver like timidity on mac but maybe its better to use vst for to have a good sound rather than sf2.
Personally i use addictive drums and some sf2 in mulab with samplelord the only prob is that sometimes midi loop be or midi yoke need a midi reset but the bass midi driver is not so bad in sound quality with a good sf2 and it doesn't crash :) and if i want a good piano sound i use true piano (pianotec is better but more expensive...)
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Neh for me it's the most important it totally feels and sounds like piano. I went once to my nearest professional musicstore, and after a long trip and lots of asking the best seemed to be the Roland HP-302.
I don't have much to tell 'bout it because I don't own it (yet).
DC64

Post by DC64 »

What I dont understand is this:

Why is the TiMidity topic stickied (stays on top on list) and BASSMIDI is a regular topic but is acknowledged in FAQ?
Just a thought.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks for the reminder.