Adding Fingering to the G Major songs

Share your original or public domain compositions here!
Request popular music with the suggestion form on the music store, not here!

All MIDI attachments must be one of the following:
  • Your own, original work submitted under some license that permits free private use (I recommend public domain or Creative Commons).
  • Adapted from works created prior to 1923. This goes for both the composition and arrangement. This means you cannot post MIDI versions of recent songs.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Postby Nicholas » 05-27-11 5:31 pm

Finger Hints: I need your help!
Finger hints should be made available for everyone for the built-in songs! You can help starting with this preview! Here's how:

1. Reply to this topic and claim a set of songs. (E.g., "All the Keyboard Classics" or "Medium, A through M")
2. Head over to G Major Music and grab the PDFs (Sheet music "Download" buttons on the various Beginner pages).
3. Enter the finger hints using the new in-game interface.
4. Wait for more instructions... soon there will be a way to export them and send them along to me.
5. Your name is added as a credit line in the readme and I'm eternally grateful! Thanks!

My hope is to get the final 0.8.1 release out in the next couple days, so only sign up to help if you'll be able to finish soon. ;)

--------------------------

This topic is for coordinating the work of adding fingering to the G Major songs and two extra songs that are included with Synthesia. Please do not post anything other than information about what songs you are "checking out" to finger, progress on fingering, and discussions directly related to the fingering project. Thanks.

The list includes the individual titles of the songs included with Synthesia as Spoilers for situations where someone is doing less than all the songs of a level.

I will try to update this list to put songs that are checked out in italic and songs that are completed in bold.

All completed! :D
  • 1st Pieces -- Zaeleus
    Spoiler:
    • A Tisket, A Tasket.mid
      Au Clair de la Lune.mid
      Aura Lee (Love Me Tender).mid
      Away in the Deep Forest.mid
      Bridal March.mid
      Chopsticks (Short Version).mid
      Fais Dodo.mid
      For Health and Strength.mid
      Good King Wenceslas.mid
      Hot Cross Buns.mid
      I Saw Three Ships.mid
      Jingle Bells (Short Version).mid
      Jolly Old Saint Nicholas.mid
      Mary Had a Little Lamb.mid
      Mexican Hat Dance.mid
      Ode to Joy.mid
      Once a Small Green Mousie.mid
      Rain, Rain, Go Away.mid
      Row, Row, Row your Boat.mid
      The Monkey and the Mirror.mid
      The Silly Seal.mid
      We Three Kings (Short Version).mid
    Primer -- Zaeleus
    Spoiler:
    • Alouette.mid
      Amazing Grace.mid
      Are You Sleeping.mid
      Away in a Manger.mid
      Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.mid
      Bingo.mid
      Clementine.mid
      Five Fat Turkeys Are We.mid
      Go Tell It on the Mountain.mid
      I Have a Little Dreidle.mid
      Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring.mid
      Jingle Bells.mid
      Les Cloches (The Bells).mid
      London Bridge.mid
      My Palm Leaf Hut.mid
      Ode to Joy.mid
      Oh, When the Saints.mid
      Old MacDonald.mid
      Persian Market Monkey.mid
      Row, Row Row your Boat.mid
      Surprise!.mid
      The Chimes.mid
      The First Noel.mid
      Turkey in the Straw.mid
      Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.mid
      We Gather Together.mid
      We Wish You a Merry Christmas.mid
      Yankee Doodle.mid
    One -- Pianotehead A-H & DC64 I-Z
    Spoiler:
    • America, the Beautiful.mid
      Angels We Have Heard on High.mid
      Can You Plant your Cabbage So.mid
      Chopsticks.mid
      Do Your Ears Hang Low.mid
      Fur Elise.mid
      Going Home - Dvorak.mid
      Have You Ever Thought.mid
      How They Dance, Dance.mid
      I've Been Working on the Railroad.mid
      Jana-Gana-Mana.mid
      Jingle Bells.mid
      Jolly Old Saint Nicholas.mid
      La Cucaracha.mid
      Lightly Row.mid
      O Christmas Tree.mid
      Ode to Joy.mid
      Oh There Was Once a Little Ship.mid
      Oh, When the Saints.mid
      Skip to my Lou.mid
      Sonatina Piccolina.mid
      The Muffin Man.mid
      The Wheels on the Bus.mid
    Two -- TieDyeGuy
    Spoiler:
    • A la Claire Fontaine.mid
      A Mighty Fortress is Our God.mid [errors in MIDI file?]
      America.mid
      Au Clair de la Lune.mid
      Bahay Kubo My Palm Leaf Hut.mid
      Bridal March.mid
      Eine kleine Nachtmusik.mid
      God Save the Queen.mid
      Hanukkah, Hanukkah.mid
      In My Hot Air Balloon.mid
      Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring.mid
      Joy to the World.mid
      Mexican Hat Dance.mid
      Morning Song.mid
      My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean Long.mid
      My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean.mid
      Ode to Joy.mid
      Oh When the Saints.mid
      Old MacDonald.mid
      Silent Night.mid
      Sur le Pont d'Avignon.mid
      The Ants Go Marching.mid
      The Barn Cat.mid
      The Ghost Of Tom.mid
      The Star-Spangled Banner.mid
      This Old Man.mid
      Toccata and Fugue in D minor - intro.mid
      We Three Kings.mid
      Ye Knights of the Round Table.mid
    Three -- Pianotehead, in 0.8.1 Preview r1261 (Release Candidate 1)
    Spoiler:
    • Aupres de ma Blonde.mid
      Ave Maria.mid
      Brahms' Lullaby.mid
      Canon in D.mid
      Chinese Folk Song.mid
      Cripple Creek.mid
      God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.mid
      God Save the Queen.mid
      Hark! The Herald Angels Sing.mid
      Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes.mid
      In a Cabin in the Woods.mid
      La Marseillaise.mid
      Lupang Hinirang.mid
      Moonlight Sonata.mid
      My Grandfather's Clock.mid
      O Canada!.mid
      Oh Hanukah.mid
      Over the River and Through the Woods.mid
      Sevivon, Sov, Sov, Sov.mid
      Shuha D-Maryam.mid
      Sonatina in G.mid
      Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.mid
      The Entertainer.mid
      The First Noel.mid
      The Yellow Rose of Texas.mid
      Waltzing Matilda.mid
    Four -- DC64
    Spoiler:
    • Amazing Grace.mid
      Big Bad Goblin Blues.mid
      Carribean Cruise.mid
      Danny Boy.mid
      Evening Falls.mid
      Greensleeves.mid
      Habanera from Carmen.mid
      Jana-Gana-Mana.mid
      March on Android Moon.mid
      Moonlight Sonata.mid
      Once a Canadian Lad.mid
      Rock Solid Blues.mid
      See How the Night Arrives.mid
      The Four Seasons - Autumn.mid
      Toreador from Carmen.mid
    Keyboard_Classics -- Nicholas
    Spoiler:
    • Aria-Notebook AM Bach.mid
      Clementi Opus 36 no 1 First Movement.mid
      Fur Elise-Beethoven.mid
      Minuet in F-Leopold Mozart.mid
      Minuet in G-JS Bach.mid
      Rondino-Rameau.mid
      Russian Folksong-Beethoven.mid
      Sonatina in C-Latour.mid
    Chorale Setting in F Major, J. S. Bach.mid -- jimhenry, in 0.8.1 Preview r1261 (Release Candidate 1) [open for suggestions]
    Menuet (Trio), by G.F. Handel.mid -- jimhenry [but not at all convinced this is the best fingering]
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Re: 0.8.1 Preview r1256
Postby TieDyeGuy » 05-28-11 12:41 am

...“A Mighty Fortress is Our God” midi does not match the sheet music on http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Freebi ... bies2.html unless I am just off my nut. Let me state again that I have no musical training at all so forgive my weak terminology. To start with the measures start out of sync because of a missing upbeat at the start. Ignoring that, the fourth measure on the sheet has a quarter C note that is missing in the midi, and I want to put a 3 on it. In the eighth measure I believe that the D in the midi is a half instead of a quarter D and a quarter F# as on the sheet music. Another missing C on measure 9 and so forth.

Can a more qualified musician verify my findings? Should I correct the midi to match the sheet music, quantize and then finger it? Or leave the midis that I have questions about for a more qualified musician to recommend fingerings?
Jim Henry
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Postby Pianotehead » 05-28-11 6:31 am

I noticed the missing notes with A Mighty Fortress Is Our God. I didn't see there was a missing C in the fourth measure, but the E in the bass clef, same measure, is not in the MIDI. Neither is the F in the fifth measure. An F# in the eight measure according to the sheet is dropped in the MIDI, again an E in measure 9, and an F in the tenth.

The next wrong measure is the 14th, bass clef. F in sheet, D in MIDI. There are more errors, but I'm gonna stop listing them now!

I'm probably not a more qualified musician than TieDyeGuy, but I think the reason the sheet music is out of sync with the MIDI is that there's seems to be no way that MIDIS can tackle pickup notes. The same problem comes up with Auprès de ma Blonde in 3 - hard, but then the pickup notes become whole notes in the MIDI instead of quarter notes in the PDF file.

I believe we should just skip numbering the wrong notes and ask Gilbert de Benedetti to correct the files (we don't know if the sheet or the MIDI are wrong.)
Jim Henry
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Postby TieDyeGuy » 05-28-11 8:10 am

Thanks for confirming that, Pianotehead. C, E, whatever, I told you I am terrible at reading music.
So I will just go with your suggestion of skipping numbering where there are conflicts unless I hear otherwise.
Jim Henry
TieDyeGuy

Post by TieDyeGuy »

Thanks you, sir. I will commit to finishing the level 2 mediums. I am done with half of them already. I am also keeping notes on discrepancies between the the sheet and midi files for future reference.
Thanks - tdg
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best. - FRANK ZAPPA
Zaeleus

Post by Zaeleus »

I have completed 1st Pieces. I will continue and also do Primer.

Edit 2011-05-28T21:32:24Z: Primer is done.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Can I do 4?
I have the time.
"And now for something completely different."
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

I'm doing group 3, alphabetically, started on songs beginning with A and just finished H, Head and Shoulders, the last one. If anyone else wants to participate, he or she can start at the end of the alphabet on group 3, with Waltzing Matilda and work his/her way backwards, alphabetically. That way no two people should be fingering the same songs.

I planned on finishing earlier, but the electricity broke down, causing some problems with TV and other things I had to take care of, and I had to see Barcelona - Man United!

Okay now I'm back to work!
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

DC64 wrote:Can I do 4?
I have the time.
It's yours.

I have done the Bach Chorale but I couldn't find anything with fingering on it, so that is just my best effort on fingering. If anyone else wants to tackle it and compare their ideas with mine, I'd be grateful. In any event, once we can export, I'll want a few people to check what I've done and see if it makes sense to someone other than me.
Jim Henry
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

I just realized that the mouse wheel lets you scroll the notes. Very handy when working on fingering.
Jim Henry
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Edit:

Lupang Hinirang seems okay, just got lost in the sheet. Some repetition signs confused me.
TieDyeGuy

Post by TieDyeGuy »

I have finished fingering for the 2-Medium group.

I found the midis to have the following problems when compared to the sheet music. I could fix them to match the sheet if that is okay. I know that some changes were made after I quantized them. So I don’t want to make any changes until I can be sure not to complicate anything. Any that have a missing upbeat are just harder to read in Synthesia because the measures are off when compared to the sheet.

2-A Mighty Fortress is Our God
Spoiler:
(playable but not quite right)
missing upbeat at the start
missing f#4 in 3rd m
missing quarter E3 in 4th m
missing f#4 in 8th m
missing quarter E3 in 9th m
missing quarter E3 in 17th m
missing quarter E3 in 19th m
2-(EDIT) Oh When the Saints (Not Ode to Joy)
Spoiler:
(really should be fixed as the left and right hand actually end up out of sync after the second missed pause, the first misses a quarter on both hands so they end the measure re-synced)
Missing two quarter pauses 3rd m
Missing quarter pause 8th m
EDIT: Upon closer review, it was a missing quarter pause in the first measure of the right hand that created the sync problem
2-Old McDonald Had a Farm
Spoiler:
(playable, but possibly confusing, especially with the fingering noted)
left hand over for last three notes in 11th m but is in right hand track in midi
2-My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean (Short Version)
Spoiler:
(playable, but possibly confusing)
Missing upbeat
Last note should be left hand over per sheet but is in right hand track in midi
2-The Barn Cat
Spoiler:
(playable, just confusing when comparing the sheet to synthesia)
Missing upbeat
2-Star Spangled Banner
Spoiler:
Missing upbeat
2-Mexican Hat Dance
Spoiler:
Missing upbeat
Last edited by TieDyeGuy on 05-30-11 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks - tdg
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best. - FRANK ZAPPA
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

A Mighty Fortress is almost certainly a MIDI recording of a live performance, and not a particularly good one. The left deviates from the printed score quite a bit. For what it is worth here is a MIDI file that corrects the errors:
A Mighty Fortress is Our God jah.mid
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
My concern is that as I understand it, Synthesia will score you on how well you can follow this performance. I'm not sure if being able to precisely duplicate this performance is what we should be encouraging.

What do others think?
Jim Henry
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, definitely if there are a large number of errors, I saw we try to put together a corrected one and I'll swap the new file's MD5 out with the old for the purpose of the online scoreboard and all that.

I know a few songs have a note here or there that is a quarter too long or too short (caused during the bulk quantization we did a few releases ago), but if that one is as bad as you say, we can definitely give it a full refurbishing to make it shiny and new again. ;)

In other news...

Updated Metadata Editor

Download here. For whatever reason Mono's XmlWriter class is giving me a ton of trouble, so output on Mac doesn't work(!) for now. At least not on mine.

Otherwise, once you've entered some finger hint data into Synthesia, it's as simple as:
  1. Start the editor.
  2. File > Open, metadata_gmajor.synthesia (attached to this post)
  3. File > Import Finger Hints...
  4. Click Yes.
  5. Click OK. (Hopefully the message will say something about lots of entries being changed.)
  6. File > Save.
  7. Email (the newly updated) metadata_gmajor.synthesia file to support@synthesiagame.com
Thanks!
Attachments
metadata_classical.synthesia
(406 Bytes) Downloaded 250 times
metadata_gmajor.synthesia
(21.78 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Is there a way to share the fingering I have done for the Bach Chorale so we can get a few reviews of my attempt at working out fingerings?
Jim Henry
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

I took another look at A Mighty Fortress is Our God. The MIDI at G Major has a simplified left hand as compared to the PDF. The MIDI isn't inherently wrong, it just doesn't correspond to the PDF score. My recommendation is to leave the MIDI alone and finger it as it is using the PDF for guidance but adjusting as necessary for what is actually in the MIDI file. One could argue that A Mighty Fortress doesn't need any fingering in the left hand beyond the first measure as the left hand never moves, even in the more advanced arrangement of the PDF. Just put fingering where it seems helpful.
Jim Henry
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimhenry wrote:Is there a way to share the fingering I have done for the Bach Chorale so we can get a few reviews of my attempt at working out fingerings?
There will be. I'll have another preview going out shortly to see if I was able to fix the weird DirectX window frame problem, and I'll go ahead and include the finger hints you just sent along in that preview so everyone can see them. That will also be the first preview where just dropping a .synthesia file into a watched folder will actually import finger hints properly, so we'll be able to iterate really easily. (.synthesia files overwrite the built-in metadata... and then local in-game changes overwrite that.)
TieDyeGuy

Post by TieDyeGuy »

Nicholas wrote:(.synthesia files overwrite the built-in metadata... and then local in-game changes overwrite that.)
When you say overwrite, do you mean that the original data will be changed or just that it will be ignored in order of that hierarchy? I mean, will it be simple to remove any local in-game changes that we make?
Thanks - tdg
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

TieDyeGuy wrote:... or just that it will be ignored in order of that hierarchy?
That one.
TieDyeGuy wrote:I mean, will it be simple to remove any local in-game changes that we make?
Not yet.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Re: 0.8.1 Preview r1261 (Release Candidate 1)
post by Nicholas » 05-29-11 8:11 pm

When you add [fingerings] yourself, they're stored in "fingers.xml" in the Synthesia data directory.

Alternatively, you can use the metadata editor to extract them to a .synthesia file. That makes them easier to share. Just place the .synthesia file somewhere in one of your watched folder paths and the finger hints should show up in the game too.

Nicholas
Jim Henry