Random Midi Player - Gramp v0.2

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Nope :]

That just means I'm now able to parse a Midi file and retrieve some informations, as the label of tracks and their respective note counts.
In the next version, Gramp will display those for each song, just the way I wished for my idea of "Synthesia Player"
I don't think the BASS library can list those things natively, so I'm using Midi to text utilities from Midi-Ox to be able to analyse that from Autohotkey.
Also, now that I can access (and partially understand) Midi syntax, I may give this concept a try later ^^

About the playback itself I'm gonna have to use BASS indeed. I have to do some posting here and there for support, but by the way if you have any clue how to make that work with midi I'm open to any help
Stuff & experiments for Synthesia: Gramp v0.2SkinboxFireSynthVideoWebradio
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Thx lemo!
So usefull and it's according perfectly with Synthésia! :mrgreen: even without icons :p
Edit: :idea: feature request when we play a local midi file it would be good to save it in a folder called local like others sources.
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Glad you like him kiwi :]
kiwi wrote:it would be good to save it in a folder called local
Why would you like to save a file that's already on your disk?

Edit: oh yea I forgot you had 50K midis, that makes sense now :p
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

haha that totally looks like Synthesia RPG inventory ^^

PS:
MMORPG = Massive Midi Online Random Playing Game ;)
DC64

Post by DC64 »

I think there should probably be a zip. download pack for all of the software you made Lemo.
Keep up the great work.
"And now for something completely different."
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of role-playing video games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual game world.
lol

I have build something like a Firefox-addon to quick-check the MIDI before downloading (waste of time).
BTW why did you add Ichigo? Do you suppose to get us all like this or did you meant another site?
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

DC64 wrote:all of the software you made Lemo
AFAIK, I'm only doing this one :p
but thanks^^
aria1121 wrote:(MMORPG) is a genre of role-playing video games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual game world
Precisely.
I guess this was a private joke for MMO addicts only ;)
aria1121 wrote:I have build something like a Firefox-addon to quick-check the MIDI before downloading (waste of time).
BTW why did you add Ichigo? Do you suppose to get us all like this or did you meant another site?
I'm adding Ichigo because I want every genre to be accessible from Gramp, and I was missing the anime/game thingies
They actually have really nice stuff there, and the songs generally don't start as fast as the one you posted :p
Can I see that firefox addon? What sort of quick check happens ?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Those icons still look suspiciously like Synthesia's... ;)
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Really ? They're not even the same size :p
More seriously, as I said I don't plan to distribute the icons with Gramp,
...but it doesn't mean I can't have those for my private use ;)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Excellent. hehe.

Actually, that reminds me of a (bizarre) work-around. This would take a thousand times too much effort, but if you could find the Synthesia.exe on a user's computer and extract the resources on the fly, you wouldn't technically be redistributing anything. I'd actually be fine with that. Again, I'm kind of rooting for a way for you to be able to do it without actually having to copy anything. :D

(This reminds me of the wacky "dynamic linking" conversations that pop up around the GPL sometimes.)
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Glad you agree with that :]

Actually I didn't think about the resource extract option before you mentioned it in the other topic, for the moment I just noticed you could extract the graphics with 7zip from the mac release.
Also I have no idea how to display an image from coordinates in Autohotkey and this one doesn't seem to like transparency either, so I had to prepare the instruments manually.
But the work-around is indeed on its way, as I have a one-click Photoshop action script ready for distribution for everyone.
Now I need to investigate around the Gimp version and "Script-fu", 7zip command line, and that crazy on the fly resource idea of yours ^^
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Okay Gramp v0.2 is out :mrgreen:
I managed to end up with a one-click icon process with a freeware resource extract tool and some imagemagick command line goodies :]
The download (now heavier coz of imagemagick...) is at the first post, here are the changes:

New features
-Instruments and midi info display
Icons are not included as discussed here, just run "GetInstruments" in the Resources folder
to make a private copy from your Synthesia installation, you can delete that folder afterwards
-Source checkboxes and window position auto save
-Ichigo as new source
-Backup locally played files in "Local" directory (kiwi)
Only useful for users with 50k+ midis ; )
-Custom directory (DC64)
Click the open config button and insert a path after "OverrideFolder"

Bug fixes
-volume bar slightly optimized (aria1121)
-fixed playlog date issue (was only applying launch time)
-various code optimizations

Also I changed a bit how the .exe works, it now only include a "Run, Gramp.ahk" command, so people may modify the source
without even installing Autohotkey.
BASS library support still coming next :p
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

(content removed)
But it looks way better than the previous version :)

Edit: Can you please add a pause-button? sometimes it comes useful :)
Last edited by aria1121 on 06-02-11 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Aria it's wrote you need to extract them from synthesia.
Anyway lemo Thx for the local save file my 50 k midi files 'll be happy ^^
Now i can simply make a good playlist!
DC64

Post by DC64 »

I have noticed that if you skip a song in he local directory then there is a chance that same song will be played twice.
Also the colors will change.
Are the colors supposed to mach the ones in Synthesia or be in no order?
What should it look like afer I add a directory to "OverrideFolder"?
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Maybe you can enhance the Skip-song progress by downloading the next song before the last song ends.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Just to point out, you may want to ask Nicholas to rename the topic title from
Random Midi Player - Gramp v0.1
to
Random Midi Player - Gramp v0.2
or
Random Midi Player - Gramp
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Thanks for the feedback.
aria1121 wrote:a pause-button?
A pause button would be nice indeed.
By the way don't try to uncheck all the sources for that purpose as it will only loop forever, pumping on your CPU for nothing.
kiwi wrote:a good playlist
I may actually add that option later to Gramp ;)
DC64 wrote:there is a chance that same song will be played twice
Yea I noticed that. This is kinda weird and I'll investigate for next version.
The colors are totally random (1~6) and not supposed to match Synthesia's order.
However the instruments list (ordered by average pitch) matches almost perfectly. It may just be slightly different as Nicholas does a secondary split
with "events using more than one channel". That may lead to a lot more than 16 slots in some cases, so I prefer to make it compact for Gramp.
Config example: OverrideFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\DC64\My documents\Midi\
aria1121 wrote:downloading the next song before
That's something I plan to add indeed, but as it will probably going to be a mess with additional variables all around, I think I'll do it after I'm done with
the BASS library setup. Also this could be part of a playlist system.
DC64 wrote:Random Midi Player - Gramp v0.2
Thanks for the reminder, I edited that.