0.8.2 Preview r1352, r1364 - Song library improvements

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

PREVIEW r1352
Download from the pink box above.

Changes in r1352 since r1310:
  • Lots of layout tweaking, wording changes, and simplification throughout the Song Library and Watched Folder window stack to make things way more sensible and less programmery sounding.
  • Song library now has a database back-end. Performance is dramatically improved for larger libraries.
  • New searching: column-based like "composer:Gilbert", all-caps "OR" keyword, asterisk wildcard character, etc.
  • No more repopulating each time you come back from a different screen. Initial population is smoother too.
  • Drop-down list to show only those songs from a particular watched-folder.
  • Time scrubber for previews. (Left/right arrow keys to skip 10% at a time.)
  • Send to Recycle Bin button.
  • Sortable flags in the first column of library. Use them for whatever.
Known Issues:
  • Mac "Send to Trash" button does nothing (yet). *grumbles about 10.5 requirement on FSMoveObjectToTrashSync*
  • Mac input-replug crash will be fixed next time around.
  • Bug reported here hasn't even been looked into yet. ;)
Next dev preview: Mac update:
  • Windowed mode (and the almost complete back-end rewrite that it's going to take... :? )
  • Currently-running config tool detection so you can't accidentally lose settings.
  • A more-complete install experience.
  • Er... "Send to Trash" button that actually works in the Song Library. :D
0.8.2 is starting to feel awesome. I'm getting to clean up all these messes that I've been leaving everywhere over the last 5 years. While there aren't as many glamorous features, from my perspective, this is already one of my favorite releases ever. :D
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I like the new library changes. :D

Although the search doesn't seem to work well. (If just typing the name of the song)
Before you could see things as you type. Now I have to type a whole word to see anything. and it still is not finding everything with that word in it.

Edit: Oh and I tested that other Bug from last preview and it's still there.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Raymond wrote:Edit: Oh and I tested that other Bug from last preview and it's still there.
That's in the list of known issues! :D

Yeah, the search thing is interesting. You can simulate the way it used to be by putting an asterisk at the end, and then typing in front of it. So: type an asterisk, then press left-arrow, then keep searching as per usual. I might actually do that under the hood. That is, so long as you haven't just typed a space, dash, or the last three characters aren't " OR", I could append an asterisk automatically before it's sent to the database so it worked like the old search.
TieDyeGuy

Post by TieDyeGuy »

Really liking the watched-folder drop down. It is probably just the way my mind works, but I like being able to organize my files my way and then easily use that structure. :D
Nicholas wrote:0.8.2 is starting to feel awesome. I'm getting to clean up all these messes that I've been leaving everywhere over the last 5 years. While there aren't as many glamorous features, from my perspective, this is already one of my favorite releases ever. :D
I agree completely. It feels like Synthesia is reaching a kind of maturity. I guess that means that the big push of last year was like puberty. But now she is getting all grown up and professional like. :lol:
Thanks - tdg
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best. - FRANK ZAPPA
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

I like those changes too.

Some small issues I actually don't like:
1. The "song pre-preview bar" kinda eats much space over there.
2. When you are used to something like Image the arrow in the upper-right corner actually represents the hide/show the rest of the combobox, which isn't to see, so I have to click somewehere else to hide it.
3. (Known issue) Pressing randomly on "Continue" while there is a song highlitghted somewhere out of range the library, it will stay so and you won't know what song is selected :?

Some requests:
- Maybe a refresh button at the library?
- Something like:
Attachments
SynthesiaEnhancedSome.png
SynthesiaEnhancedSome.png (138.31 KiB) Viewed 20674 times
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Hi, the new Diogenes Song Library looks great, really cool.
Nicholas wrote: I could append an asterisk automatically before it's sent to the database so it worked like the old search.
Please
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

0.8.2 is definitely going to be a great release :)

However, I have to say I have some issue with that preview:
-library takes about the same time to load for me (with 500 songs)
-last played song doesn't take you to the right page anymore (at startup or after playing)
-continue button flickers each time you change selection

About the suggestions:
-like everyone else, I think you should code that auto-asterisk stuff
-there could be an option to hide slider and only use shortcuts for "power users" like us :p
-drop down menu may include sub-folders (I only have one watched folder, with a lot of subs...)
Stuff & experiments for Synthesia: Gramp v0.2SkinboxFireSynthVideoWebradio
kickininthefrontsea

Post by kickininthefrontsea »

What you have is good and you could work around limitations by managing folders in a file manager but
Lemo wrote:-drop down menu may include sub-folders (I only have one watched folder, with a lot of subs...)
This, plus optionally the ability to disable selected sub folders would be nice
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

As planned, and because I have no idea what to do of those flags but this,
and people seem to be interested about achievements,
here is the HACK for the baby "World of Warcraft" :lol: flags

Basically, you'll go from this

To this

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3103&p=20596#p20596
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Sorting the song list by Last Played does not work right.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Those pictures are great. ;)
Raymond wrote:Sorting the song list by Last Played does not work right.
Gar! SQLite treats every column as text by default and you have to go through wacky gyrations to make it think otherwise. I apparently got the date/time format wrong so it's looking at it like text. I'll fix it!
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Yeah that was part of the issues I mentioned above,
Actually it works, as the last song is still selected, but Synthesia just doesn't switch to the correct page

Another thing I noticed,
When the preview is running, and you hit the down arrow key at the bottom of a page (say page 1),
Synthesia will preview (and select) the song at the top of page 1, instead of the top of page 2.
Pressing the down arrow again plays the right song
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

waouw flags are greats and for the library it's just that i need for my supercharged library .
Haven't tryed yet but i 'll report later.
Thx Nicholas.
But appear one or two things Synthesia is at a point to be extremely complete,some others releases and i don't see what u 'll can do more.

Honestly i am not so nostalgic but when i compare the first versions and theses new ones it's awesome how the project has involved!

Again GOOD JOB and thx for this build i 'll play it this afternoon if i can wait ^^
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

My searchbar doesn't work as it should. Sometimes it finds the song matching the query, other times it doesn't.
F.e. ABBA it finds 2/2 ABBA songs. composer:ABBA finds none. The next search ABBA finds none too. Am I doing something wrong?
maccer

Post by maccer »

I had a quick look and so far it looks good!
Nicholas wrote: Next dev preview: Mac update:
  • Windowed mode (and the almost complete back-end rewrite that it's going to take... :? )
What I would like to have is a fullscreen mode that you can CMD-Tab out of. Will that be possible? When using my laptop screen I almost always want Synthesia to be in full-scren mode, but sometimes I want to check other stuff (or, say, add MIDI:s to my watched folder) and currently I have to quit Synthesia in order to do that.
Songs learned using Synthesia:
CT: Wind Scene, The Trial | FF7: Prelude | SMB: Overworld, Underwater | Tetris: Theme A | Zelda: Lost Woods | Other: Für Elise
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

maccer wrote:What I would like to have is a fullscreen mode that you can CMD-Tab out of.
Switching away from the ridiculously low-level Carbon CGL behind the scenes will let you switch between programs (again) and allow the dock to pop up if you move the mouse to that side of the screen (again).
johbone

Post by johbone »

i dont like how you have to type the whole song word so if you can either switch it back or make a option to change it i would appreciate it . thanks keep up the good work! :idea: :D
maccer

Post by maccer »

Lemo wrote: -like everyone else, I think you should code that auto-asterisk stuff
-drop down menu may include sub-folders (I only have one watched folder, with a lot of subs...)
I agree!
Songs learned using Synthesia:
CT: Wind Scene, The Trial | FF7: Prelude | SMB: Overworld, Underwater | Tetris: Theme A | Zelda: Lost Woods | Other: Für Elise
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

I suppose the "composer" tag is totally optional for MIDIs... and you ABBA files just don't have that information ;)