0.8.2 Preview r1352, r1364 - Song library improvements

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

(Wow allot happens in a week. Back from vacation :). )

@Lemo/Aria
That is what Metadata could be used for.
Like album, artists, year, more than what we have right now.

What if the name The in a file folder (like The Beatles) would ignore the "The" in the name and be counted as a "B" name.

I dont like that when you exit a song it goes right to the beginning of the list.
Could it go back to "exit song, screen hilight recently played song"?

Bug:
1. When looking at the Driver Synth preview, when a circle is next to the right side the circle is shown outside of the box.
Sort of a graphics display glitch error.

2. Scrolling with the number pad or direction pad,
Instructions:
start at top of page, go up to next page with up key, a song not on the page will be played.
If preview is on then the song played with be on the page prevoiusly on, not currently.
"And now for something completely different."
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

aria1121 wrote:Am I the only one here having problems with the searchbar?
Nope.
Raymond wrote:..Although the search doesn't seem to work well. (If just typing the name of the song)
Before
you could see things as you type. Now I have to type a whole word to
see anything. and it still is not finding everything with that word in
it..
johbone wrote:i dont like how you have to type the whole song word so if you can either switch it back or make a option to change it i would appreciate it
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Raymond wrote:
aria1121 wrote:Am I the only one here having problems with the searchbar?
Nope.
Aria's problem sounds a little different than the "add a star to the end of your search and then type in front of it" problem.

Notably, the last sentence here:
aria1121 wrote:ABBA it finds 2/2 ABBA songs. composer:ABBA finds none. The next search ABBA finds none too.
Doing "composer:ABBA" won't work unless you've used the synthesia-metadata-gui to add metadata to your own files, including the composer field. But returning to an old search string and still having it not return anything is a bug (that I haven't been able to reproduce).
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm going to make a mini-preview before the Mac stuff to try and address a lot of everyone's feedback. All the bug-type stuff will be fixed, the searching will be better, and I'll do a couple layout tweaks. But there are a few tricky things I want to avoid by not having the folder drop-down include sub-folders. Though again, with the improved, faster than ever search it should be a non-issue.
DC64 wrote:When looking at the Driver Synth preview, when a circle is next to the right side the circle is shown outside of the box.
I wasn't able to spot this one. Any chance you could grab a screenshot? Thanks!
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Ill get one soon. Trying to get one noticeable.
EDIT: Of course it is in window mode so things like text are overlapped.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

PREVIEW r1364
Download from the pink box above.

Changes in r1364 since r1352:
  • Library searching is closer to how it used to be.
  • Sorting by "Last Played" works again.
  • Using arrow keys to navigate the library works correctly again.
  • Moved things around on the Song Library screen a little more. Much nicer in lower-resolution modes now (and nicer anyway).
  • Fun background visualization (a la the Keyboard Setup screen) when playing a song preview.
  • Added grayed-out hint text in search box when empty ("Search...")
  • Strings of percussion note-on events are handled the way they used to be. (reference)
  • Folder list drop-down now appears under the button like a proper combo-box.
  • The previously-loaded song is now auto-scrolled to again (at the cost of some speed in super-massive libraries).
  • Invalid time signatures will now show C Major instead of "Unknown" for every note label. (reference) :lol:
Known issues: Mac send-to-trash still not implemented and Mac input-replug crash still not looked into.

Alright, now I'll do the Mac stuff. ;)
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Nicholas, this dev really makes some difference! BTW, how could that Unknown thing happen?
Nicholas wrote:[...] Fun background visualization (a la the Keyboard Setup screen) when playing a song preview. [...]
Nicholas wrote:[...] Fun background visualization (a la the Keyboard Setup screen) when playing a song preview. [...]
lol
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

aria1121 wrote:BTW, how could that Unknown thing happen?
Some rogue MIDI editor out there that doesn't like following rules. ;) That or data corruption... but the rest of the MIDI file looked alright, so I don't know.
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Well this visualization is fine in the Keyboard Setup screen,
but in the song list now it looks like that:

Switch off option please :mrgreen:

Otherwise thx for the fixes :]
Also this compact layout works better indeed
Stuff & experiments for Synthesia: Gramp v0.2SkinboxFireSynthVideoWebradio
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I don't mind the visualization. Although it would be better if the position was not randomized.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Lemo wrote:but in the song list now it looks like that...
Oh noes. :lol:

Just for that, I'm not sure there will ever be a way to turn it off! :D You go resource-edit those circles out of there if you don't like it. ;)
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Ah...noteRing.tga
Got it :]
I thought that was procedural

My eyes and I are safe now :mrgreen:
Stuff & experiments for Synthesia: Gramp v0.2SkinboxFireSynthVideoWebradio
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

BUG...
With that same song. there is two percussion tracks showing as not percussion but playing as percussion.
So it says Acoustic Grand Piano but its playing percussion.

I can disable them all now so that's good.

Edit:
(I did reset it.)

Also was there something in the last preview(or the one before) that would have change the hash for the song?
Well not the main hash for the song but the one for the you play tracks or w/e you call that hash. :roll:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Raymond wrote:Edit: (I did reset it.)
You're saying it was still happening even after the reset?
Raymond wrote:Also was there something in the last preview(or the one before) that would have change the [config] hash for the [parts of the] song?
Not that I know of. Outside of that "letting more than one note stay on" case that I had to subsequently revert for percussion tracks. That's usually a super-rare thing. Is it happening a lot?
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Nicholas wrote:You're saying it was still happening even after the reset?
Yes
Nicholas wrote:Is it happening a lot?
No Iv only seen like 4 maybe more songs with scores being reset.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

I have one that is labeled Grand Piano but sounds and plays percussion notes.
More likley intended for percussion but still wierd.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Nicholas wrote:
DC64 wrote:When looking at the Driver Synth preview, when a circle is next to the right side the circle is shown outside of the box.
I wasn't able to spot this one. Any chance you could grab a screenshot? Thanks!
Got it:
Spoiler:
look to the right box with green circles
look to the right box with green circles
display error 1.jpg (137.57 KiB) Viewed 17698 times
Also look for the word "Others", the "r" is under the "e".
Is this able to be fixed?

I have another where the left one (Blue) is completly filled with circles by a bug.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

For me it's all rite, but it looks like someone used two spaces and hasn't removed Timidity++ yet :)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Interesting. Are you using the DirectX or OpenGL renderer? And what sort of video hardware do you have? Driver up to date?
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Im using DirectX, I have NVIDIA GeForce, the driver is probably up to date (even though its a 2006 driver :x )