0.8.2 Preview r1352, r1364 - Song library improvements

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

DC64 wrote:the driver is probably up to date (even though its a 2006 driver
Nvidia updates there drivers pretty often. (I had a 7600gs that had updates up until 2010 when it died on me.)
so unless you have a really old Geforce (like a 440mx) its more than likely not up to date.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Anyway as I try to fix my odd and old computer, does this happen to anybody else or am I just crazy?
"And now for something completely different."
bamhm182

Post by bamhm182 »

Have you thought of adding Lion's Fullscreen App support to Synthesia? That way we can have it in its own desktop and quickly swipe between it and other desktops. Would be nice.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'll have to check to see how that interoperability might work. I was under the impression that if I wanted to target 10.4 (with a Universal binary at that), I would be stuck without any 10.5+ features.

Maintaining that much backward compatibility is starting to weigh on me more and more. I just checked and while only 3% of (OS X) visitors to the site are still running 10.4, something like 17% of them are still 10.5... so there is definitely still some merit. I just don't know if I can get access to the new stuff without locking out the old users.
613Skier

Post by 613Skier »

I'm probably that 3% lol

Believe me I'll be upgrading my Mac ASAP

Frankly, I'm amazed my 446 Mhz G4 can run this program...
Shneibel

Post by Shneibel »

for ppl that use mac and have lion upgrade, Do you have problem with the MID sound being low ?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I don't have Lion yet, so I can't test for it.

This poor 'ol iMac I have is starting to wheeze a bit, so it might be time to get a new Mac development box and just keep this one around for backward compatibility testing. I'm not sure I want to put this one through its 3rd OS upgrade.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Onto a new thought.

Can the songs also be organised by subtitle?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Why is that something you'd want to do?
DC64

Post by DC64 »

That depends on what people put in.
If I want to organise by album name,
I do this:
Spoiler:
Screenplay 1.jpg
Screenplay 1.jpg (111.84 KiB) Viewed 15143 times
[subtitle]Album: (name of album)[/subtitle] Generally an idea, the file folder is the band's name.
613Skier

Post by 613Skier »

What about putting a folder of Most played/Best of Accessible

Instead of loading the whole library (My case 1700 midis) Under 100 of them I actually play and work on...

Could just be my slow arsed CPU, but shortcuts are always nice. :)

A quicker system for screening instruments played, play mode, ect would be appreciated by many i'm sure.
I figured out the whole copy/paste system, and believe a check box system (multiple selects) per selection would be faster.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

613Skier wrote:What about putting a folder of Most played/Best of Accessible
Sort by play count?
613Skier wrote:Instead of loading the whole library (My case 1700 midis) Under 100 of them I actually play and work on...
Remove the songs from the library you're not playing or working on. Watched folders are quick and easy to update. ;)
Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion »

Nicholas wrote:Remove the songs from the library you're not playing or working on. Watched folders are quick and easy to update. ;)
If you have a big and sorted song collection you probably do not want to move your files around and destroy your sorting-system...
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Could there be a saftey button so you dont delete on accident?
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Nicholas wrote:...Watched folders are quick and easy to update. ;)
To the point. I don't understand why the song library arrangement is such a problem. Most piano players are working on less than 100 songs, I myself am not working on more than ten, maybe seven or eight at the same time. So it should be enough to have only a few watched folders.

I have the Gmajor set and all it's subfolders watched. Actually I'm only practising from group 2 or 3 (4 occassionally) so I should only need to watch them. Then I have 2-3 other watched folders with pop/rock/jazz songs.

In my opinion a lot of things should have priority before improvement of the song library.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

DC64 wrote:Could there be a saftey button so you dont delete on accident?
It's called the Recycle Bin. (Or "Trash" if you're on a Mac. :D )
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Hey guys, since when is Synthesia able to have multiple windows opened at the same time? Usually I get such a message like I have to close it to run the other MIDI. But today I discovered this when accidentally moving two MIDI's to Synthesia's *.lnk ...and is this "healthy" for its configfiles?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Still shouldn't be able to. Latest release and latest dev preview are still showing the error message. And no, it's not healthy for config files. ;)

Let me know if you're able to reproduce it.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

In r-1364, the directories in a drop box in the top left.
When you add directories, it puts it out of alphabetical order.
(Im a little picky on this) can it be alphabatized with a choice?
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

r1364 is the latest dev, but not for Windows, what doesn't make it the latest dev that also is available on Windows. It doesn't make sense.