0.8.2 Preview r1504 (Release Candidate 1)

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

PREVIEW r1504
Download from the pink box above.
handAssignments.png
handAssignments.png (15.83 KiB) Viewed 17235 times
Changes in r1504 since r1488:
  • "Maximized Window" is now the default video mode on Windows in addition to the Mac.
  • New buttons on advanced track settings screen to assign a hand to a given track. Once left/right (or "both") are assigned, the simple view becomes available.
  • New "Help" button on gameplay screen (bound to F1 by default).
  • Consolidated toolbar buttons, speed control, and help/quit buttons into a single bar.
  • The "--on-startup Play" command-line option should work again.
  • Advanced "Gameplay.LoopMaxErrors" option now works in rhythm practice too.
  • Two new advanced config options to make MIDI resets do a little more ("Midi.ResetBankSelect" and "Midi.ResetVolume").
  • Song titles should now always fit inside the new title bar at song start.
  • Song titles are shown a little longer now (coupled with sliding in/out faster to give more reading time).
I'm feature complete for 0.8.2 now. I'll let this release candidate hang out for a few days while you guys try to break it. Let me know how that hand-selection thing goes on the track selection screen. You should now be able to use the simple view with songs that have a ton of background tracks.

It's pretty handy for starters and it's going to open the doors on a lot of really cool stuff later (like being able to swap which hand you're playing in real time during practice)!

One immediate benefit is something I'll be working on while you test out this preview: being able to extract the hand assignments to the metadata editor the same way you can finger hints. That way you can share which parts are the important ones (vs. just background tracks). Again, this is going to open the doors for cool features.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Nicholas wrote:New "Help" button on gameplay screen [...] It's pretty handy for starters and it's going to open the doors on a lot of really cool stuff later
Then why not an in-Synthesia Wiki search? (I came up with this idea before clicking that button) So like there is a sort of search bar saying "Search Wiki..." then you'll get some list of related articles.
BetterHelpRequest.png
BetterHelpRequest.png (343.74 KiB) Viewed 17188 times
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Ooh, new version! (testing)
"And now for something completely different."
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Nicholas wrote: [*]Advanced "Gameplay.LoopMaxErrors" option now works in rhythm practice too.
Thanks
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

aria1121 wrote:Then why not an in-Synthesia Wiki search?
After your second click (step 2 in your diagram), the next screen you're presented with already has a search box. By changing the default video mode to "Windowed Maximized", the browser should pop up right on top of Synthesia, and that Wiki page has a search box. Your idea would take a ton of extra effort to reproduce a thing that is already happening.

Right now I'm firing off a "Go to this URL" command to the OS. Your method would require downloading a web page, parsing it, displaying it in my wacky UI structure, handling the dozens and dozens of errors that can come up during that sort of thing. Integrated in-game would be cooler, but for the tremendous amount of effort it would take, I can't see doing it. Really, the whole idea was to get a pointer to the wiki in the game so people knew it existed. I get a lot of email about there not being a manual and this should help.
Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion »

Nicholas wrote: Right now I'm firing off a "Go to this URL" command to the OS. Your method would require downloading a web page, parsing it, displaying it in my wacky UI structure, handling the dozens and dozens of errors that can come up during that sort of thing. Integrated in-game would be cooler, but for the tremendous amount of effort it would take, I can't see doing it. Really, the whole idea was to get a pointer to the wiki in the game so people knew it existed. I get a lot of email about there not being a manual and this should help.
Yes, that's the price you pay for not using a framework :P
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I dunno, my "your web browser" framework seems like it will be able to do the trick just fine. ;)

But no, I'm so far down this path now there is no turning back. Besides, it's grown on me. And these days it's actually pretty capable and easy enough to work with. I wish I had a free minute to make some tools to speed up the layout step though. It'd be nice to be able to do that visually instead of tweaking numbers over lots and lots of builds.
Oldrich

Post by Oldrich »

The "Midi.ResetVolume" probably works fine because it fixed my troubles with the right hand volume. The "Midi.ResetBankSelect" resets the voice but unfortunately to a wrong piano sound. So I will not activate this option and I will always change the voice directly on my keyboard.

BTW: It would be nice if you included a text box into the advanced settings window which would display a description of each individual command.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

I have noticed that in the Track Selection screen some of the tracks sound Piano when you "hear a preview" (sometimes).
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Oldrich wrote:BTW: It would be nice if you included a text box into the advanced settings window which would display a description of each individual command.
The options there are semi-unsupported. They're there mostly so someone can ask a question in the forum and I can respond with "Oh, go set advanced option X to 7.64 and that will solve your problem."

Because there are already a handful in there that are volatile (e.g., Library.SortColumn) or already have a better UI to support them (e.g., all the video settings via the config tool or many of the Gameplay.* settings via the in-game Options screen) I'm comfortable leaving the rest unspecified unless I point someone there directly, myself.
aria1121 wrote:I have noticed that in the Track Selection screen some of the tracks sound Piano when you "hear a preview" (sometimes).
Is that not what you want? Are they piano tracks? Shouldn't they be?
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Nicholas wrote:
aria1121 wrote:I have noticed that in the Track Selection screen some of the tracks sound Piano when you "hear a preview" (sometimes).
Is that not what you want? Are they piano tracks? Shouldn't they be?
Nope. It's Shamisen.Source removed
BTW Is it normal that the title of the MIDI doesn't show up when playing the song in that huge bar where it usually should be?
Last edited by aria1121 on 11-02-11 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm. Seems fine to me. Which output device are you using? Built-in Windows synth?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

You're seeing the incorrect-piano problem with both?
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

It is a bit hard to reproduce because it doesnt happen that much. But after lots of trying, yes, Microsoft GS fails too.
kickininthefrontsea

Post by kickininthefrontsea »

How do you add the song title and arranger to a midi

I've tried the obvious in musescore
right click > add in the title box
and edit > metadata

but synthesia just shows the filename
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »