Yamaha GT2 Midi input - One hand only sound

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
davemac1

Post by davemac1 »

I have a Yamaha GT2 Grand with midi in- out. I can only get one hand sound playing. As far as I can tell there are no Midi adjustments on the instrument itself.
I have tried the Midi file " all notes" and it only plays the first green notes into the keyboard. I think it is a limitation of the midi input channels on the keyboard.
Is there and way to get synthesia to work with 2 hands- all channels. I have a more up to date Korg keyboard which works fine. Thanks
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Alright, I just took a look at the manual for the GT2 and it says it can only receive MIDI on channel 1. This is pretty limiting but there is a work-around to remap all of Synthesia's output to channel 1 using a couple free utilities.

So, bear with me... this is going to be a lot of steps. :D

One-time setup
  1. Download and install LoopBe1.
  2. Download and install MIDI-OX.
  3. You may have to restart your computer after one or both of those installs.
  4. Open Synthesia and set your Output device to "LoopBe Internal MIDI". (Input can stay set to your GT2.)
  5. In MIDI-OX, go to Options, "Midi Devices..." and select "LoopBe Internal MIDI" for input and your GT2 for your output.
  6. In MIDI-OX, go to Options, "Data Mapping..."
  7. Click "Insert..."
  8. Change the output channel from "Match Input" to "1" and click OK.
    outputChannelMap.png
    outputChannelMap.png (26.67 KiB) Viewed 7821 times
  9. Check the box labeled "Turn Map On (after OK)" in the top right corner and click OK.
    enableMap.png
    enableMap.png (31.09 KiB) Viewed 7821 times
What you've just done is route Synthesia's output over to MIDI-OX (via the virtual LoopBe1 driver). And then in MIDI-OX you told it to convert messages that come in on any channel over to only using channel 1.

Each time you want to play
  1. Start MIDI-OX.
  2. Start Synthesia.
  3. Enjoy. ;)
davemac1

Post by davemac1 »

Thanks Nicholas for taking the time to give such a detailed reply. I have followed you instruction carefully and have repeated a few times and rebooted etc but no sound from GT2. Am going from Win7 64 bit PC to USB to midi cable. Any Ideas what I could be missing ?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

There are a few things that you can double-check. One in particular is pretty easy to accidentally break.
  • Make sure your Synthesia devices are Input:GT2, Output:LoopBe.
  • Make sure your MIDI-OX devices are Input:LoopBe, Output:GT2.
  • If you ever accidentally connect LoopBe's input to its output, it will switch to "Mute" mode to avoid an infinite feedback loop. There should be a tray icon you can double-click and make sure the "Mute" check box is not checked.
  • In MIDI-OX, make sure to choose View, "Input Monitor..." to pop open a window that shows all the input received. When you run the output test in Synthesia, some information should scroll across the input monitor in MIDI-OX.
  • Similarly, when that happens you should see some info scroll through the "Monitor - Output" window too, except everything in the "CHAN" column should always be a 1.
Let me know if any of that helps. Thanks!
davemac1

Post by davemac1 »

It works ! Wow I am so happy I have just stopped jumping up and down and clapping my hands like a kid ! I just got this Yamaha GT2 Grand which I love, but was quite distressed when I thought Synthesia was not going to work, I have learned to play piano with Synthesia. Think I did get it into a loop and the mute was on, but I didnt notice it on when I checked earlier. Also think a couple of reboots helped. Thankyou so much, I am so pleased that you took the time to help me with this. Synthesia rocks . Ps how the Ipad app coming . Dave
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm happy to hear you got it up and running!

Some caveats: only having one channel is pretty limiting. Anything with different instruments probably won't sound correct, unfortunately. Though for typical piano pieces, it should work just fine.

I'll be starting the iPad stuff soon. I'm wrapping up the finishing touches on 0.8.2 (and working on a few website updates at the same time). 0.8.3 will basically be getting the UI ready for a smaller iPad-like screen (and shouldn't take long at all: hopefully by the end of November). And then the iPad version should hopefully be done just in time for the holidays. Or, more specifically, so anyone that receives an iPad (or MIDI keyboard) for Christmas can jump right onto the app store and grab the Synthesia app. :D
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Nicholas wrote:Download and install LoopBe1.
Or a more powerful loopMIDI by Tobias Erichsen.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That's actually pretty nice. I will probably start recommending that in the future instead of LoopBe1. It does take one or two extra steps to set up though. You have to create (and name) a port yourself whereas LoopBe1 comes with one pre-configured.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

At least you can recommend both and let the choice to the user. Those who prefer powerful solutions can switch over to loopMIDI.