CoolSoft VirtualMidiSynth

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Still no ASIO? No, you should see ASIO really as a must, do not care much about those chains, or let this decision at least to the users. Developers who think they know everything better and try "to prevent" certain things, is the worst "development model" in my opinion. Did not try your VirtualMidiSynth yet, but from reading here it sounds to be something good?!
coolsoft

Post by coolsoft »

ASIO is already on my TODO list; it's supported by the underlying BASS libraries, so it won't require too much work to add it to VMS.

VMS initial target were non professional music/karaoke fans. These users need a ready to use MIDI Synth, easy to setup and with an acceptable latency.
ASIO was one of my first thought when VMS performances were not so good (the old 1.3.x age :) ), but starting from version 1.4.0 the MIDI queue management efficiency was really improved and reached a really low latency level (see a detailed test from Nicholas here), making ASIO a low priority task.

After a while it turned out that VMS is a really good driver, with some unique features (i.e. the MIDI Mixer) and professional users started using it with their DAWs.
And the ASIO requirement came back.

I'll take a look ASAP, promised.
Meanwhile please test it, setting the output buffer near to 0 and activating soundfont preloading.
I'm really interested in your feedback.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

coolsoft wrote:Meanwhile please test it, setting the output buffer near to 0 and activating soundfont preloading.
I'm really interested in your feedback.
Oh, I did my testing without any modifications, so I have to recheck again with what you wrote here, if it makes any difference WHILE RECORDING I can report back here. Thanks anyway for caring and answering back here nicely. You seem to be a great non ignorant developer, exactly as Nicholas, which is great! Thanks maestro!
MrX

Post by MrX »

I'm a little confused...
What's the difference between VMS and BassMIDI?
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

MrX wrote:I'm a little confused...
What's the difference between VMS and BassMIDI?
in the core it's the same tecnologie but vms are more options and is more easy to use install etc...