How to split hands on a Midi file with 1 track

Share your original or public domain compositions here!
Request popular music with the suggestion form on the music store, not here!

All MIDI attachments must be one of the following:
  • Your own, original work submitted under some license that permits free private use (I recommend public domain or Creative Commons).
  • Adapted from works created prior to 1923. This goes for both the composition and arrangement. This means you cannot post MIDI versions of recent songs.
unrealed

Post by unrealed »

For anyone who, like me, didn't know how to, I made video tutorial on how to use a program called Sekaiju to split tracks. (Link for the program is in the video description)

Don't worry, it's short (watching the video on Youtube will add helpful/skip annotations)

I don't know if it's ok for me to post this here, but I figured this was where people would run into the problem of having a midi that is only one track. Hope this helps, and if you have questions, please ask.
slash8789

Post by slash8789 »

Wow. Thank you for that. That sure helps those of us who don't quite make their own MIDIS yet.
Oliboy50

Post by Oliboy50 »

Thank you for this useful trick !
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, this is a really nice resource! Thanks!

(Also: nice desktop background. I'm also a reader.)
TonyStark

Post by TonyStark »

is there a way to split the keys with out manually doing it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Not yet.

How "manually" are you talking, by the way? Like he shows in that video, sometimes you can get away with grabbing half the song all at once and do it in (nearly) one step. Even when there is a built-in solution in Synthesia, it isn't going to be too much easier than that.
unrealed

Post by unrealed »

Nicholas, if you want you can put a link to the vid on the content creator page. I know I was looking for a while for a solution to this problem
TheMist

Post by TheMist »

Hey guys, I've found much easier way to do it using
free Keyboard Split program from here http://www.zenph.com/support/free-downloads

1) Click the Open MIDI File… button and select the target MIDI file.
2) Click the keyboard track in the track list.
3) Set the split point.* The split point note and all notes above will go into the right-hand track. The notes below the split point will go into the left-hand track.
4) If you wish to rename a track in the list, click the track and type a new name.
5) Click the Split Track… button and save the file with a unique name.**
*MIDI note numbers range from 0 to 127. On an 88-note piano, the lowest note (A0) is note number 21, middle C (C4) is note number 60, and the highest note (C8) is note 108.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

i did really prefer to edit my midis in mulab :)
unrealed

Post by unrealed »

@TheMist That's awesome!

Do you know if the program lets you select note manually as well? cause, sometimes notes for one hand overlap or jump over the other hand. For most songs tho, this is great.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Yes, Sekaiju allows you to select individual notes for the split. It does get a bit fiddly to do it, at least for the few attempts I made. Maybe it gets easier with practice and experience.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

TheMist wrote:Hey guys, I've found much easier way to do it using free Keyboard Split program...
That's a nice find!
unrealed wrote:Nicholas, if you want you can put a link to the vid on the content creator page.
Hmm. I'm kind of on the fence. This would fit in more of a "Content Editing" context. I was just thinking about where to mention it on that page and kept running into a "well, it'd be strange to talk about the tools you need for splitting tracks just after I described how to have things split in the first place."
613Skier

Post by 613Skier »

Is there a Mac version to that content creator?
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

any daw make this with ex mulab:)
select all your note then ctrl+clik for to select/deselect one more note.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

613Skier wrote:Is there a Mac version to that content creator?
You should be able to install Mono on your Mac and then start the metadata editor from a terminal using the following command (from the folder you have the editor in):

Code: Select all

mono SynthesiaMetadataGui-r29.exe
The editor is designed to work on both platforms.
anjp

Post by anjp »

This is a useful tutorial, thanks very much.
--
There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Babygirl100000

Post by Babygirl100000 »

What is a good program to do for splitting the hands on a mac? It would need to be simple and not require something else to be installed like the mono thing for content creator. Please help!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I have good news! This is an older topic, so it doesn't cover the best way to do this as of Synthesia 10.

Follow this guide and you can do the splitting right inside Synthesia, quickly and painlessly.