Mac OSX 10.8 running choppy?

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
613Skier

Post by 613Skier »

Just logged into synthesia for the first time in a while. I've got a 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 8Gb 1333 MHz DDR3.

It was running smoothly before i upgraded to OSX 10.8

Now it's a little choppy when playing. Has anyone else experienced this?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, I haven't heard anything from other Mac users. My own Mac development machine has specs right around yours (Late 2012 Mac mini) and is running 10.8 without any trouble.

How choppy are we talking? If you hit F6 during a song, are the numbers in the top-left corner hovering near 60?
613Skier

Post by 613Skier »

Just tried the F6 thing. It says it's running at about 59.82 - 59.88

As the notes are dropping it gives a little flicker up & down, it's more noticeable in practice mode, or when your playing, but it happens while auto play is on too. I'm not running anything else so I'm not overloading my system or anything
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm. Well, the frame rate number sounds just right... but the flicker up/down sounds like something bad is happening.

If you use the SynthesiaConfig tool (included in the archive you downloaded from the Synthesia website) to switch between windowed or full-screen mode, does that make any difference? I'm wondering if there is some strange interaction going on with your video card for whatever reason.

To help me understand, let's say on a scale of 1 to 10 where a 1 is "The flicker doesn't impact my play at all" to a 10 where "This is completely unplayable", how would you rate the problem?